6521Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Help supporting Debian on a Kurobox

  • Rogério Brito
    Sep 1, 2008
      Hi, Guennadi.

      On Aug 29 2008, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
      > On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Rogério Brito wrote:
      >
      > > And do you know the status of the dtc thing? Does it still need to be
      > > done?
      >
      > Yes, sure. You could try to use a wrapper and link the device tree with
      > the kernel, but this is currently not supported on LS / Kuro and I don't
      > know how difficult it is to configure this.

      No problems. I think that I can deal with it once that I can get a recent
      kernel to boot.

      > > What I find surprising is that all this knowledge is not included in
      > > the distributions, but scattered on some pages and to get a proper
      > > recent system with all security updates one has to have a quite good
      > > mental compilation of the state of the things.
      >
      > The lack of interest and man-power?

      Well, as long as it depends on interest, I would be willing to contribute
      whatever I make.

      > > Another was the need to use extra init scripts to send strings like
      > > EEEE to /dev/ttyS1 to get shutdown to work properly (at least with the
      > > version of the kernel that I still have here, which is the stock
      > > 2.4.17).
      >
      > As you probably know by now, the daemons are not really _necessary_ with
      > recent kernels - the watchdog is switched off automatically by the
      > kernel.

      Now, I didn't know this. I even packaged avr_evtd and plan on getting it
      into the distribution, as it would matter for the people doing work on
      embedded platforms (and for projects like emdebian).

      > > The dtc thing was also news to me, even though I had used Linux on
      > > PowerPC for some time now.
      >
      > First it is relatively new - since about two years, I think. Secondly,
      > you only need it on (ppc) systems, that don't have OF. Your Macs do have
      > OF, and the device tree is actually a replacement of the OF on Macs and
      > other machines.

      Thanks. I didn't know the purpose of that information contained in a
      compiled file that should be put on the side of the kernel.

      > > I would like to change the state of things, to have them packaged in
      > > systematic ways so that users (and that includes me) can only install
      > > some packages and forget about the differences between a Kurobox
      > > standard and a plain NewWorld Macintosh or a common x86 machine. That's
      > > my purpose and I would appreciate any help that I can get, since I know
      > > very little about this machine.
      >
      > Well, if you have time, sure, would be nice. But just think how many
      > people will benefit from your work? Those ppc-based machines are not
      > produced any more. There are some others, I think, based on the same
      > CPU...

      Well, the userland is simply the same as the other powerpc binaries and, as
      such, I would use it for development (that's the purpose of Charles Plessy
      having sent me the Kuro Box). And it would also be a learning experience
      and, perhaps, this learning experience could be materialized in support for
      another sub-architecture of powerpc.

      Now, I would like to ask your help here. As you mentioned to me on an
      earlier post, I went to some forums and wikis and consulted their
      documentation, but I am still unsure of many things and I would appreciate
      your help here, since you seem to be knowledgeable about these boxes.

      I have, right now, a pure etch distribution (which I installed after some
      painful hours without sleep) and I am using the stock firmware with the
      2.4.17_kuro-box kernel and loading a self-compiled (patched) 2.6.15 kernel
      with the loader.o trick (not uloader.o).

      I really want to get rid of these tricks and I have a "normal" system,
      with the recent kernels that I'm used to work with and to test the
      distribution on the Kuro-Box.

      I wrote this
      http://buffalo.nas-central.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=86166#p86166 which
      gives a precompiled uBoot and a precompiled firmimg.bin with kernel
      2.4.33.3.

      Can you answer some of the questions that I raise there? For instance, I'm
      not sure if the referenced uBoot is able to boot recent 2.6 kernels and I'm
      also not sure if I need the new 2.4.33 firmimg.bin flashed in conjunction.

      I just wish to get precompiled binaries first and then seeing how they are
      done to incorporate whatever is needed for Debian (or, as a last resort, to
      keep a private, unofficial repository of packages ready for users who want
      to be completely Free, with a Free operating system).

      If you have binaries already compiled that would allow me to boot a 2.6
      kernel (or if other members of one of these lists have them), I would be
      grateful.

      Thanks for your help, Rogério Brito.