6519Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Help supporting Debian on a Kurobox

  • Rogério Brito
    Aug 28, 2008
      Hi, Guennadi.

      Thanks for your helpful answers. I'm adding back the debian-powerpc
      and debian-embedded lists to the CC so that more people can benefit
      from your knowledge.

      On 28/08/2008, at 17:31, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
      > you didn't cc this rreply to me, so, I only saw it now.

      Sorry. My mutt followed the Reply-To when I pressed "group reply". :-(

      > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Rogério Brito wrote:
      >
      >> On Aug 27 2008, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
      >>> PPC Linkstation / Kurobox platforms are supported by the current
      >>> mainstream kernel and (partially) U-Boot.
      >>
      >> Do you mean kernels 2.6.25+? At www.genbako.com, I saw a patch to
      >> kernel
      >> 2.6.25, but I don't know what support the newer mainline kernels
      >> have.
      >
      > I mean vanilla sources from kernel.org.

      That's excellent, as that is what I would use anyway, without knowing
      it further.

      > Your model should be supported by it directly without any further
      > patches. However, I cannot verify, since I don't have this hardware.

      And do you know the status of the dtc thing? Does it still need to be
      done?

      What I find surprising is that all this knowledge is not included in
      the distributions, but scattered on some pages and to get a proper
      recent system with all security updates one has to have a quite good
      mental compilation of the state of the things.

      For instance, it one thing that was new to me was the necessity of
      having a daemon like avr_evtd (or the programs you sent me attached
      before).

      Another was the need to use extra init scripts to send strings like
      EEEE to /dev/ttyS1 to get shutdown to work properly (at least with
      the version of the kernel that I still have here, which is the stock
      2.4.17).

      The dtc thing was also news to me, even though I had used Linux on
      PowerPC for some time now.

      I would like to change the state of things, to have them packaged in
      systematic ways so that users (and that includes me) can only install
      some packages and forget about the differences between a Kurobox
      standard and a plain NewWorld Macintosh or a common x86 machine.
      That's my purpose and I would appreciate any help that I can get,
      since I know very little about this machine.

      >>> Please, search the wiki / Forums for installation instructions.
      >>
      >> I do have spent some time (and even mirrored everything that I could)
      >> reading about the various solutions, but they mostly seem to be
      >> "partition
      >> the HD in Emergency Mode with mfdisk, mount the HD at /mnt, unpack
      >> this
      >> prebuilt tarball and this will boot with a module loader.o, with
      >> which you
      >> can load a newer kernel".
      >>
      >> This seems to me that the function of loader.o would be like a kexec.
      >
      > Yes, that would be a possibility for you - use that uloader.o or
      > whatever
      > it is called to load a new u-boot, then use it to start a recent
      > kernel,
      > which would allow you to use a recent distribution:-)

      I would like to take some conservative steps before proceeding with
      further, more risky ways. That's what my (limited) mathematical
      background tells me. :-)

      >>> Looks like you have spent _very_ little time there if you still
      >>> haven't
      >>> found out what kerel versions run on these platforms.
      >>
      >> Maybe I just didn't know what to look for. Please, don't have a
      >> negative
      >> view of my efforts. I'm just trying to learn (and my self-esteem
      >> seems to
      >> be very low).
      >
      > I just tried to prevent you from wasting your time on hopelessly old
      > software.

      Thanks for your concern. It is much appreciated. Indeed, I saw that
      much of the information seems to be dated by now (e.g., some of the
      posts on the wiki are dated back to 2006 or earlier and much has
      changed since then).

      > Otherwise, I am afraid, I cannot help you with specific
      > instructions which
      > would suit you best. Try to search for uloader.o suitable for your
      > system
      > (no, not loader.o - you want to load a new u-boot version, not the
      > kernel), and try to start from there.

      Thanks. Didn't know that and what I read led me to think that
      loader.o would be the tool to use to load a newer kernel.

      Thanks again, Rogério Brito.

      P.S.: I'm leaving the part below as a reference to Debian lists of
      what I did to get things working up to my current state.