6518Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Help supporting Debian on a Kurobox

  • Guennadi Liakhovetski
    Aug 28, 2008

      you didn't cc this rreply to me, so, I only saw it now.

      On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Rogério Brito wrote:

      > On Aug 27 2008, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
      > > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Rogério Brito wrote:
      > > > Which kernel are you using? I see that your programs use 2.6
      > > > interfaces, if I'm not mistaken. BTW, has anybody tried to send those
      > > > patches available at www.genbako.com upstream? I think that the people
      > > > at ozlabs would include that support (whishful thinking here).
      > >
      > > PPC Linkstation / Kurobox platforms are supported by the current
      > > mainstream kernel and (partially) U-Boot.
      >
      > Do you mean kernels 2.6.25+? At www.genbako.com, I saw a patch to kernel
      > 2.6.25, but I don't know what support the newer mainline kernels have.

      I mean vanilla sources from kernel.org. Your model should be supported by
      it directly without any further patches. However, I cannot verify, since I
      don't have this hardware.

      > > Please, search the wiki / Forums for installation instructions.
      >
      > I do have spent some time (and even mirrored everything that I could)
      > reading about the various solutions, but they mostly seem to be "partition
      > the HD in Emergency Mode with mfdisk, mount the HD at /mnt, unpack this
      > prebuilt tarball and this will boot with a module loader.o, with which you
      > can load a newer kernel".
      >
      > This seems to me that the function of loader.o would be like a kexec.

      Yes, that would be a possibility for you - use that uloader.o or whatever
      it is called to load a new u-boot, then use it to start a recent kernel,
      which would allow you to use a recent distribution:-)

      > > Looks like you have spent _very_ little time there if you still haven't
      > > found out what kerel versions run on these platforms.
      >
      > Maybe I just didn't know what to look for. Please, don't have a negative
      > view of my efforts. I'm just trying to learn (and my self-esteem seems to
      > be very low).

      I just tried to prevent you from wasting your time on hopelessly old
      software.

      Otherwise, I am afraid, I cannot help you with specific instructions which
      would suit you best. Try to search for uloader.o suitable for your system
      (no, not loader.o - you want to load a new u-boot version, not the
      kernel), and try to start from there.

      Thanks
      Guennadi

      > Regarding your other e-mail and the JTAG interface, from what I understand
      > (the pictures that I saw in the wiki @...-central.org---it is there
      > that I read about "Kuro Project Debian" and "Kuro Project Sylver"), I would
      > have to solder the cable of the interface and I'm afraid of doing something
      > wrong (especially finding such a cable here in Brazil).
      >
      > I already did something more recent than what is described on
      > <http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Debian_install>, which seems to
      > be a plain woody install (I took the basedebs.tar from woody, unpacked,
      > updated to sarge, and then updated to etch).
      >
      > The other image, Sylver's, seem to have a kernel that is made for the Kuro
      > HG, not the plain Kuro, like the one that I have. :-(
      >
      > Also, the link
      > <http://sylver78.free.fr/kernel-2.6.20.2_kurobox_universal-20070313_testing.tar.gz> seems to be broken, which is, according to the changelogs on
      > <http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Debian_sylver>, is the only
      > kernel image with support for the tulip driver. :-(
      >
      > As you can see, I have not read that little as it may seem.
      >

      > Thanks for your help so far, Rogério Brito.
      >
      > --
      > Rogério Brito : rbrito@{mackenzie,ime.usp}.br : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
      > http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito : http://meusite.mackenzie.com.br/rbrito
      > Projects: algorithms.berlios.de : lame.sf.net : vrms.alioth.debian.org

      ---
      Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.