6517Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Help supporting Debian on a Kurobox

  • Rogério Brito
    Aug 27, 2008
      On Aug 27 2008, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
      > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Rogério Brito wrote:
      > > Which kernel are you using? I see that your programs use 2.6
      > > interfaces, if I'm not mistaken. BTW, has anybody tried to send those
      > > patches available at www.genbako.com upstream? I think that the people
      > > at ozlabs would include that support (whishful thinking here).
      >
      > PPC Linkstation / Kurobox platforms are supported by the current
      > mainstream kernel and (partially) U-Boot.

      Do you mean kernels 2.6.25+? At www.genbako.com, I saw a patch to kernel
      2.6.25, but I don't know what support the newer mainline kernels have.

      > Please, search the wiki / Forums for installation instructions.

      I do have spent some time (and even mirrored everything that I could)
      reading about the various solutions, but they mostly seem to be "partition
      the HD in Emergency Mode with mfdisk, mount the HD at /mnt, unpack this
      prebuilt tarball and this will boot with a module loader.o, with which you
      can load a newer kernel".

      This seems to me that the function of loader.o would be like a kexec.

      > Looks like you have spent _very_ little time there if you still haven't
      > found out what kerel versions run on these platforms.

      Maybe I just didn't know what to look for. Please, don't have a negative
      view of my efforts. I'm just trying to learn (and my self-esteem seems to
      be very low).

      Regarding your other e-mail and the JTAG interface, from what I understand
      (the pictures that I saw in the wiki @...-central.org---it is there
      that I read about "Kuro Project Debian" and "Kuro Project Sylver"), I would
      have to solder the cable of the interface and I'm afraid of doing something
      wrong (especially finding such a cable here in Brazil).

      I already did something more recent than what is described on
      <http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Debian_install>, which seems to
      be a plain woody install (I took the basedebs.tar from woody, unpacked,
      updated to sarge, and then updated to etch).

      The other image, Sylver's, seem to have a kernel that is made for the Kuro
      HG, not the plain Kuro, like the one that I have. :-(

      Also, the link
      <http://sylver78.free.fr/kernel-2.6.20.2_kurobox_universal-20070313_testing.tar.gz> seems to be broken, which is, according to the changelogs on
      <http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Debian_sylver>, is the only
      kernel image with support for the tulip driver. :-(

      As you can see, I have not read that little as it may seem.

      Thanks for your help so far, Rogério Brito.