6514Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Help supporting Debian on a Kurobox

  • Rogério Brito
    Aug 27, 2008
      Hi, Guennadi.

      Thank you very much for your reply and for the attachments.

      On Aug 27 2008, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
      > On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Rogério Brito wrote:
      >
      > > Just for the information of others, I'm booting the 2.4.17 kernel that
      > > came with the Kurobox (that's untouched) and I'm using the userland of
      > > Debian stable (Debian etch).
      >
      > I am not sure what you are trying to do with this software.

      Just trying to run anything newer than what came with the Kurobox, since
      the software that ships with it is so ancient (it seems to be from the
      woody era or earlier even).

      > AFAIU Debian development scheme, etch is "dead" by now, i.e., there won't
      > be anything new included in it, which also would make no sense now, that
      > lenny is (hopefully) only monthes away.

      Yes, I know that. I run sid on my system, with a custom built kernel
      tracking the current -rc* from kernel.org. I use sid mostly for my 3
      packages in Debian already.

      The reason why I "stopped" with etch on the Kurobox is that I could not
      upgrade to anything newer, because the version of glibc shipped with
      testing/unstable needs NTPL, which is only supported by kernels >= 2.6.8.

      I was also worried about loosing commands like "write_ok", "mfdisk" and
      similars.

      > Also 2.4.17 is, well, useless for any open source development.

      Unfortunately, I still don't know how to upgrade the kernel of the Kurobox
      (despite the fact that I'm used to kernel upgrades on ia32, amd64, and both
      OldWorld and NewWorld PPCs). Actually, I have not yet understood the
      Kurobox flow of boot process.

      > > I already fixed the other project which with I'm involved and I can now
      > > spend some time with the Kurobox. One of the first things that I want
      > > to do is to package the avr_evtd daemon and include it in Debian
      > > proper. Is there any effort to do that already?
      >
      > I have not spent much time with avr_evtd, just be aware, that there are
      > several similar daemons for the handling of the AVR chip on linkstations /
      > kuroboxes.

      I didn't know that. The avr_evtd daemon would benefit from a facelift on
      its Makefile, its tarball and some of its code. I spent some time (just
      some hours) packaging it so that I could have one more package available
      from the distribution.

      I think that I would also need to have some init scripts shipped with the
      daemon, to issue the sequence of characters like EEEE to /dev/ttyS0.

      From what I saw, the device nodes /dev/fl*, /dev/AVR00 and the like are not
      strictly needed, are they?

      > Just for an example of what alternative approaches can be taken to handle
      > the chip I am attaching two simple programmes I am using on my kurobox-HG.

      Thanks for sharing them.

      > Their advantage is, that they are using standard input interfaces to
      > process buttons and support reboot, power off and suspend. Notice, that
      > suspend is (still) not supported by the mainline linkstatin kernel.

      Which kernel are you using? I see that your programs use 2.6 interfaces, if
      I'm not mistaken. BTW, has anybody tried to send those patches available at
      www.genbako.com upstream? I think that the people at ozlabs would include
      that support (whishful thinking here).

      Thanks, Rogério Brito.