6513Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Help supporting Debian on a Kurobox

  • Guennadi Liakhovetski
    Aug 27, 2008
      On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Rogério Brito wrote:

      > Just for the information of others, I'm booting the 2.4.17 kernel that came
      > with the Kurobox (that's untouched) and I'm using the userland of Debian
      > stable (Debian etch).

      I am not sure what you are trying to do with this software. AFAIU Debian
      development scheme, etch is "dead" by now, i.e., there won't be anything
      new included in it, which also would make no sense now, that lenny is
      (hopefully) only monthes away. Also 2.4.17 is, well, useless for any open
      source development.

      > I already fixed the other project which with I'm involved and I can now
      > spend some time with the Kurobox. One of the first things that I want to do
      > is to package the avr_evtd daemon and include it in Debian proper. Is there
      > any effort to do that already?

      I have not spent much time with avr_evtd, just be aware, that there are
      several similar daemons for the handling of the AVR chip on linkstations /
      kuroboxes.

      Just for an example of what alternative approaches can be taken to handle
      the chip I am attaching two simple programmes I am using on my kurobox-HG.
      Their advantage is, that they are using standard input interfaces to
      process buttons and support reboot, power off and suspend. Notice, that
      suspend is (still) not supported by the mainline linkstatin kernel.

      Thanks
      Guennadi
      ---
      Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.