6342Re: Retrave data after firmware update

  • djprice1973
    Jan 28, 2008
      Many thanks for the help. I did everything you said and in the telnet
      window it showed all my shares from previous as well as the new
      default one "share" created after firmware upgrade.

      I used the web interface to create a new share named the same as one
      of the previous shares.
      The share was visible on the linkstation through windows explorer but
      no files in it. I tried it on another old share and same result.

      I went back to telnet to try and access the folders but even though
      all shares show up when typing "ls -a /mnt/disk1/" when I type "ls -a
      /mnt/disk1/djpls/" (djpls is name of an old share, not recreated in
      web interface) it says 'no such file or directory' I tried same with
      one of the recreated shares and same result.

      If I type 'ls -a /mnt/disk1/share' which is the new share created by
      default, it lists ok.

      Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

      -DJP

      <musikgoat@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "djprice1973" <djp@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've just re-applied firmware 2.06 to my week old 500GB Linkstation
      > > HS-DHGL after it stopped working properly and it has removed all my
      > > old shares and replaced the root directory with an empty 'share'
      > > directory.
      > >
      > > The Navi program is still showing the drive as 41% full with 195GB of
      > > data stored on it but I can't see any of it.
      > >
      > > Prior to reapplying the firmware I pressed the reset button on the
      > > back of the unit to see if this would solve the original problem but
      > > it didn't.
      > >
      > > Has anyone got any idea how to retrieve the old data? I've bought a
      > > 500GB Drivestation to back the stuff up on but only had half of it
      > > backed up before the problem happened so will be gutted if I loose the
      > > other half. Please help!
      > >

      > Hi, good news!!
      >
      > If the drive space is showing as being used, you can likely gain
      > access and look at the location of where the shares are actually
      > stored and retrieve any data.
      >
      > ACP_commander
      > http://downloads.nas-central.org/TOOLS/ALL_LS_KB_ARM9/ACP_COMMANDER/
      > works as a perfect means to get access.
      >
      > ACP Commander needs Java (on your PC) to run. See java.com for the
      > latest runtime version for your operating system.
      > Once (java) installed, enter the following in a command (cmd) window
      > from the same directory that contains your downloaded
      > acp_commander.jar file.
      >
      > java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <IP ADDRESS> -o
      >
      > Replace <IP ADDRESS> with the address of your Linkstation.
      > You should see something similar to the following:
      > Using random connID VALUE = FB6A7FCF57E6
      > Using target: 192.168.1.11/192.168.1.11 (your IP address)
      > ** NO message **
      > ** NO message **
      > Password changed.
      > You now have telnet access with a blank (null) password until next
      reboot.
      > If it doesn't work, try again. It could take up 5 times before
      > acp_commander works.
      >
      > You can now telnet into the IP address as root with no password.
      >
      > From the command window enter:
      > telnet <ip linkstation>
      >
      > you should get to a shell in the linkstation.
      > it will start with sh# and likely the hostname. here type:
      > ls -a /mnt/disk1/
      >
      > likely your directories should show. All of the shared folders that
      > you used instead of the default share folder that the device uses.
      > You can likely just re connect the Samba share connection that the Web
      > interface establishes in Shared Folders settings. Just create a new
      > shared folder, and name it the exact same name as the old one. At
      > this point your windows computers should be able to access it.
      >
      > Remember to reboot your Linkstation after all of this, as the ACP
      > commander utilities methods can cause a firmware update to cause
      > troublesome errors.
      >
      > -goat

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic