      From: bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...>
      To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2007 6:20:13 PM
      Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Adding HD to USB port

      Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it up
      to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the ext.3
      file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice if this
      file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

      Will try fitting a larger IDE drive but I hope I don't need to
      program anything! Any limit on the size of the HD ?

      Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and lubricatibg
      the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

      Didn't know about Debian; will check that out.

      Thanks again :-)

      --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, Paul Henderson
      <phenders21@ ...> wrote:

      > You can plug in an external hdd and have read and read capabilities
      if it's formatted in the ext3 file system.
      > You can also install a new internal hdd as well. The LS2 only
      supports 3.5" IDE drives and not SATA drive. If you want Debian on
      your LS2, then do it when you buy the new drive (you can do it on
      your existing drive as well). http://nas-
      central.org/ index.php/ Convert_your_ MIPSel_LinkStati on_into_a_ full-
      blown_Debian_ system

      and plug in another external USB drive at the back or it is only for
      backing up?

      Also, is it possible to replace the HD inside for a bigger one? If
      so, where can I get more info on suitable drives and what needs
      to be done?

      Many thanks...

      All new Yahoo! Mail