6178Help configure freelink partitions

  • Colin Young
    Sep 9, 2007
      I just installed a LinkStation Pro and updated to freelink following
      this link:

      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=FreeLink_for_the_Linkstation_Pro

      and set up partitions by more-or-less following this link:

      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro

      Here's what I ended up with:

      df output:

      rootfs 455M 336M 119M 74% /
      /dev/root.old 13M 11M 2.3M 83% /initrd
      /dev/root 455M 336M 119M 74% /
      tmpfs 100K 0 100K 0% /lib/init/rw
      tmpfs 62M 0 62M 0% /dev/shm
      tmpfs 10M 8.0K 10M 1% /tmp
      /dev/sda1 282M 15M 252M 6% /boot
      /dev/sda6 295G 272K 295G 1% /mnt/disk1

      fdisk output:

      Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
      255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/sda1 1 37 297171 83 Linux
      /dev/sda2 38 403 2939895 83 Linux
      /dev/sda4 404 38913 309331575 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
      /dev/sda5 404 440 297171 82 Linux swap /
      Solaris
      /dev/sda6 441 38913 309034341 83 Linux

      I should point out that things seem to be working in general. I can
      ssh in, run basic commands (man, ls, vi, etc.).

      When I try to install webmin, I get an error:

      root@LS-GL7D6:~# dpkg -i webmin_1.360_all.deb
      (Reading database ... 12207 files and directories currently installed.)
      Unpacking webmin (from webmin_1.360_all.deb) ...
      dpkg: error processing webmin_1.360_all.deb (--install):
      failed in buffer_write(fd) (9, ret=-1): backend dpkg-deb during
      `./usr/share/webmin/useradmin/help/intro.ca.html': No space left on device
      dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
      webmin_1.360_all.deb

      I'm assuming it has to do with the fact that I've only got 119M
      available in the root filesystem. I'm guessing that what I want to do
      is put user packages on a different partition, but I'm not sure about
      the best way to go about it (symlink maybe, but where does Debian put
      its packages?). I'm also not terribly familiar with Debian
      specifically and it's been a while since I've done much with Linux in
      general.

      Ideally what I'd like is to be able to store user installed packages
      on the big partition but not expose them to network clients (Windows
      and OS X). I'm also planning on installing slimserver and subversion,
      so I'll be needing a hidden location to store MySql data and the
      subversion repository, and I'd like to make it easy to upgrade the
      OS/kernel in the future.

      Is there a best-practices document for partitioning under freelink, or
      can someone suggest some configuration options for my system?

      Thanks.

      Colin
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic