6020Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: a QUITE Linkstation?

  • Wladston Viana
    Jun 8, 2007

      I was told that 42 ohm should slow the fan down for about 70%.

      And there are scripts that monitor the hdd temperature and can ask the fan to spin faster if needed.

      Now all I really need is a 42 ohm resistor to move on!!! :)

      On 6/8/07, bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

      When LS is placed on a table, noise is at its worst. I placed it on a
      mousemat with high density foam backing and the drop in noise
      was very noticeable. Then I put the LS on its side, on the carpet in
      a small area under the bottom shelf. Now it is quite enough to live

      LS is a good looking design. So it's a shame to hide it away like
      this. Can't see the LEDs either. So I look forward to the mods that
      Wladston is planning to develop :-)

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"

      <bluemax_101@...> wrote:
      > Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can be
      > thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy only some of the
      > time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.
      > I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from elsewhere. The
      > plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of anti-vibration
      > pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and DVD players.
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Wladston Viana"
      > <wladston@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the answers man!
      > >
      > > If you do anything that affect its performance, the bits
      > > > inside will overheat an fail.
      > >

      > > Well, considering it has two modes, and considering we can
      > the HD's
      > > temperature, maybe we can have a silent mode, where the fan spins
      > generating
      > > no noticeable noise, and a full spin, so the device only goes to
      > the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the point it
      > fail...
      > >
      > > what do you think about that ?
      > >
      > > What can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
      > > > You will be able to sleep but you LS may catch fire when you are
      > > > asleep.
      > >
      > > auch .... okay, let's think of another way to solve this issue :)
      > >
      > > BTW. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, why do you
      > > > want to the LS on when you are trying to sleep?
      > >
      > > For three strong reasons ... the first, I want to use it as a
      > > webserver to the public, second, I want it to download stuff from
      > the
      > > internet when I'm sleeping (such as copyright-free music and
      > movies). And
      > > last, because I want the guys on the rest of the house to be able
      > to use the
      > > resources on the LS (actually I have a kurobox ;), even when I'm
      > sleep...

      Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
      Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
      Computer Science student (UFMG)