5821Re: [LinkStation_General] Stock v2.6 Kernel on a Linkstation HS : Working!

  • David Yip
    Jan 31, 2007
      Hi (again),

      I have gotten the hwclock on the Kurobox to finally work, I took your advice and rebuilt the module and suddenly, it popped up in the kernel messages

      i2c /dev entries driver
      rtc-rs5c372 0-0032: assuming rs5c372b
      rtc-rs5c372 0-0032: rs5c372b found, 24hr, driver version 0.4
      rtc-rs5c372 0-0032: rtc core: registered rtc-rs5c372 as rtc0
      TCP cubic registered
      NET: Registered protocol family 1
      NET: Registered protocol family 17
      rtc-rs5c372 0-0032: setting the system clock to 2007-01-31 21:55:58 (1170280558)
      linkstation: disarming the AVR watchdog:

      One strange thing is that I had to create a link for /dev/rtc to /dev/rtc0, which was already created on the Linkstation (perhaps from installing the original Debian OS)

      So, a big thank you for all of your help.

      I must admit that getting a stock kernel up an running on the Linkstation was more troublesome than on the Kurobox, because I originally patched my firmware with freelink and you need it kept on rebooting with a v2.4 kernel (as expected and documented). But it can be done, and I think it is a great leap forward!

      Cheers,

      David

      Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:

      On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, David Yip wrote:

      > Actually putting the "rtc-rs5c372. probe=0,0x32" actually seems to be working
      > now.

      Good. One more thing in case you haven't yet realised - you can
      perfectly compile and use just 1 kernel for your LS and Kurobox. Same
      configuration, same kernel and module binaries. Only bootloaders and
      device-trees have to be different.

      As a side note, I submitted a patch to ppc-dev ML with an extra .dts for
      "slower" LS / Kurobox and extended defconfig to cover HD and HS systems.
      Hope it will appear in 2.6.21.

      Thanks
      Guennadi
      ---