5598Re: Disabling the fan on a Linkstation

  • tiny_apps_org
    Oct 5, 2006
      Thank you, mindbender & KeepIt SimpleStupid! I'll try the
      openlink/freelink firmware and avr_evtd solution, but first I've got
      to get a fan connected, as the LS won't boot without one. Thanks again!

      http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=AVR_watch-dog_daemon_for_Linkstation

      > look at the variable FANSTOP...it can be set to OFF.
      >
      > i am currently thinking of building my own case...and remove the small
      > and noisy fan...
      >
      > mindbender
      > www.linkstationwiki.net
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
      > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Assuming that the fan's tach signal is open collector
      > > and it operates off of 5 volts then figure 14 here
      > > http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM555.html + a resistor
      > > and an NPN transistor would be all that would be
      > > needed. Something like a 2n3904 with a
      > > (5V-0.6)/(25E-3/100). 25 mA will put the transistor
      > > into saturation and Hfe is about 100 if I remember.
      > > This resistor would be about 15K in series with the
      > > output of the timer. The emitter would go to ground
      > > and the collecter would go to the tach signal. Values
      > > aren't critical.
      > >
      > > Pick R and C such that the frequency is 1 pulse per
      > > revolution for starters and/or check the data sheet
      > > for the fan.
      > >
      > > WHat needs to be verified: Fan 5V, Tach signal is open
      > > collector. If it's 12, change the 5 in the eqn. to
      > > 12.
      > >
      > > --- "TinyApps.Org" <mail@> wrote:
      > >

      > > > Does anyone know how to disable/disconnect the
      > > > Linkstation's fan and still
      > > > have it boot properly? If there is no fan present,
      > > > the Linkstation will
      > > > flash the red Diag LED 4 times and then shut down.
      > > > But I'd like to run it
      > > > without the fan, leaving the case off for
      > > > ventilation. Is there a some way
      > > > to disable the fan check or fool the Linkstation
      > > > into thinking the fan is
      > > > working properly?
      > > > --
      > > > archive at Nabble.com.