5494Re: Pointer requested please: add printer to 400Gb linkstation

  • lalunas10
    Sep 12, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mungohenning" <linkstation@...> wrote:
      > > But you've got an OfficeJet G55, which requires a specific printer
      > communication driver on
      > > the server side. You need to install CUPS + hplip (+ sane if you
      > want to scan aswell). Start
      > > reading here:
      > >

      > I'm guessing this will all need some sort of telnet into the buffalo
      > kit, and its just a week or two out of its box.
      > So, do I patch the firmware to allow telnet and presuming so I'd
      > guess this may invalidate my warranty?

      You don't have to open the box physically; and you could always flash the original
      Firmware back onto the system, so Buffalo couldn't tell the difference.

      Check out <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=FAQ> on flashing.

      > If the linkstation will only tolerate Postscript why can't I just
      > install some postscript driver on my laptop and when printing a file
      > get it to output postscript that gets sent direct to the linkstation
      > and thence to the printer?

      Because the printer can't be be talked to (reached) from Linux w/o HP's own driver, hplip.

      > I read some stuff about downloading the Adobe postscript driver and
      > setting it up to point to the linkstation but that didn't work at
      > all... I'm trying several tacks to solve this one.

      Won't help in this case.

      -Andre
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic