5307Re: Run the LS1 without fan?

  • haberschnasel
    Jul 4, 2006
      <musikgoat@...> wrote:
      > I'm sorry, but why do you want to take away the fan in the first place?

      The idea is that if I use a 2,5" HDD that does not produce that much
      heat, I do not need active cooling for the rest of the LS. So if I
      take away a main heat source, maybe I can lay the fan to rest as well?

      I think I read the following numbers: LS1 with HD powered up: 17W,
      with HD sleeping 10W. Passive cooling should be possible.

      That was why I asked if anybody did anything like this already.

      In fact, I was always looking at Linksys's NSLU2 that comes without a fan.

      > If its making too much noise, replace it.

      If passive cooling does not work (and there is the RPM sensor issue) I
      will do this (or slow down the original fan a little bit by reducing
      voltage).

      Do you know of a suitable replacement? Someone recommended the SilenX
      40 x 10mm Fan 14 dBA, if I recall correctly. It is 10£.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic