5106Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • Jeff
    Apr 25, 2006
      I'm anticipating this would solve my problem, but I can't login to
      find out. I'm assuming I need to telnet the WAN IP address to get into
      configure the modem itself to include the LS's IP address as a
      nameserver? I either have a different username/password for the modem
      than I thought I did or I don't have access to do this. If I can
      figure out how to login, I'll let you know if this works.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "oseyboldt" <oli@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jeff,
      > I had the same problem and I solved it by adding the router-IP
      > adress as a nameserver to the resolv.conf.
      >
      > To do so log in via telnet/ssh,
      > cd /etc
      > vi resolv.conf (the file was empty in my case)
      > "i" (for insert text)
      > type "nameserver your.own.router.ip"
      > press "esc", ":" and "x"
      >
      > then reboot and it should work (it did in my case).
      >
      > Good luck,
      > Oliver
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff"
      > <jfish_berean@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
      > When I
      > > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
      > newtwork
      > > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@)
      > > it times out every time.
      > >
      > > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
      > and
      > > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
      > > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
      > > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
      > > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
      > and
      > > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to
      > point to
      > > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
      > access
      > > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
      > > program or web browser...
      > >
      > > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
      > > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
      > > can discover something I overlooked.
      > >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
      > > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
      > > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
      > > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
      > > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
      > > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
      > > > the right mode of FTP.
      > > >
      > > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
      > > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
      > > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
      > > > host to test.

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic