5096Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • Jeff
    Apr 23, 2006
      By doing what you suggested, I could open the port and got
      "220 FTP Server Ready".

      But when I finger the IP address, I get The name of the network and
      then ">Finger:Connect::Connection Refused". I'm assuming that's
      because I'm trying to finger the IP that I'm already using. And
      doesn't necessarily tell me if our ISP is blocking FTP.

      I know that it is not that the ISP has a short lease on the IP
      address, because it has been the same for about 4 weeks now. And every
      time I work on this project I check the WAN IP.

      > From windows cmd prompt run telnet
      >
      > open 65.a.b.123 21
      >
      > This will just try to open port 21. It doesn't know
      > about FTP or the protocal or anything so don't let the
      > word telnet fool you. Your telnetiing to port 21
      > which is an FTP port and not a telnet port. This
      > doesn't know about any of the other ports required for
      > FTP.
      >
      > you might see:
      >
      > Trying 65.a.b.123...
      > Connected to (somewhere.com).
      > Escape character is '^]'.
      > 220 Somewhere.com FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2+Sun)
      > ready.
      > (I typed a return here)
      > 530 Please login with USER and PASS.
      >
      > This is an actual response from a Sun unix machine to
      > itself. I also tried using windows to the sun and got
      > the same result. You won't be able to log on.
      >
      > Get simple connectivity, then get the protocol to
      > work.
      >
      > If you suspect FTP is being blocked try a finger
      > client and server which uses port 79.
      >
      > If you have a Windows PC or whatever and get a finger
      > server to work.
      >
      > So
      > 1) your ISP could be blocking FTP.
      > 2) your ISP has a short lease on your IP address.
      >

      > --- Jeff <jfish_berean@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside
      > > location. When I
      > > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP
      > > that the newtwork
      > > with the LinkStation is on (i.e.
      > > ftp://username:password@...)
      > > it times out every time.
      > >
      > > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address
      > > of 192.168.x.y and
      > > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the
      > > IP address of my
      > > router). I can access the Linkstation locally
      > > either through the
      > > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the
      > > local LAN IP
      > > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow
      > > ports 20, 21, and
      > > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP
      > > Server to point to
      > > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I
      > > still can't access
      > > it from the internet - using passive or active modes
      > > of any FTP
      > > program or web browser...
      > >
      > > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all.
      > > Any other
      > > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with
      > > it to see if I
      > > can discover something I overlooked.
      > >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt
      > > SimpleStupid
      > > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to
      > > work.
      > > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number
      > > ports.
      > > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
      > > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For
      > > more
> [...]
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic