5088Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • socaljbeezer
    Apr 18, 2006
      I too have a d-link router but my FTP setup is working flawlessly. I
      only forward port 21 thru the vitual server setup. I confirmed my
      settings against your post and it appears that you have everything
      correct. My linkstation gateway setting is disabled but Im not sure
      of this makes any difference in this system. I guess my only advice
      is to double check your access to the ftp share internally. I really
      doubt that your ISP could block access, so I would rule that out.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jfish_berean@...>
      wrote:

      > I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location.
      When I
      > enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the
      newtwork
      > with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@...)
      > it times out every time.
      >
      > I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y
      and
      > a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
      > router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
      > Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
      > 192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21,
      and
      > 1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point
      > the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't
      access
      > it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
      > program or web browser...
      >
      > Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
      > thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
      > can discover something I overlooked.
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
      > <keepitsimplestupid@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
      > > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
      > > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
      > > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
      > > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
      > > the right mode of FTP.
      > >
      > > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
      > > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
      > > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
      > > host to test.

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic