5087Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Apr 18, 2006
      Lets go way basic. DSL/Cable providers will close the
      connection if it doesn't see traffic from the inside
      of the LAN. That's where dyndys.org type systems come
      into play. Alternatively, a slingbox from
      www.slingbox.com or Best Buy has mechanisms that can
      allow you to get your IP address at home once you
      connect remotely. It does work.

      Or try this:

      From windows cmd prompt run telnet

      open 65.a.b.123 21

      or from a unix box:

      % telnet 65.a.b.123 21

      This will just try to open port 21. It doesn't know
      about FTP or the protocal or anything so don't let the
      word telnet fool you. Your telnetiing to port 21
      which is an FTP port and not a telnet port. This
      doesn't know about any of the other ports required for
      FTP.

      you might see:

      Trying 65.a.b.123...
      Connected to (somewhere.com).
      Escape character is '^]'.
      220 Somewhere.com FTP server (Version wu-2.6.2+Sun)
      ready.
      (I typed a return here)
      530 Please login with USER and PASS.

      This is an actual response from a Sun unix machine to
      itself. I also tried using windows to the sun and got
      the same result. You won't be able to log on.

      Get simple connectivity, then get the protocol to
      work.

      If you suspect FTP is being blocked try a finger
      client and server which uses port 79.

      If you have a Windows PC or whatever and get a finger
      server to work.

      So
      1) your ISP could be blocking FTP.
      2) your ISP has a short lease on your IP address.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic