5085Re: Problems accessing LS outside LAN

  • Jeff
    Apr 18, 2006
      I still cannot FTP from the Internet from an outside location. When I
      enter in my username/password combo with the WAN IP that the newtwork
      with the LinkStation is on (i.e. ftp://username:password@65.a.b.123)
      it times out every time.

      I set up my Linkstation to have a static IP address of 192.168.x.y and
      a Gateway of 192.168.x.1 (which is the same as the IP address of my
      router). I can access the Linkstation locally either through the
      Workgroup, as a Network Drive, and by FTP using the local LAN IP
      192.168.x.y. I configured my D-Link router to allow ports 20, 21, and
      1025-1027 for FTP access and set up the Virtual FTP Server to point to
      the IP address of my LinkStation 192.168.x.y, but I still can't access
      it from the internet - using passive or active modes of any FTP
      program or web browser...

      Neither Buffalo nor D-Link has been helpful at all. Any other
      thoughts out there? I'm still tinkering around with it to see if I
      can discover something I overlooked.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, KeepIt SimpleStupid
      <keepitsimplestupid@...> wrote:

      > Opening ports 20-21 is not enough to get FTP to work.
      > You need to open a few (say 3) higher number ports.
      > Try opening 1025, 1026 and 1027 as well. I just
      > looked at what I had forwarded on my router. For more
      > info look at the RFC for FTP. You also need to use
      > the right mode of FTP.
      >
      > It's also difficult to test since you can't ftp from
      > inside to your public IP address. I was able to ssh
      > to a unix host and then ftp back into my LAN from that
      > host to test.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic