5019Re: Updating Samba on an LSII

  • g0pkh
    Mar 28, 2006
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "calvinlsc"
      <calvinlsc@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "g0pkh"
      > <peter.hillyer@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all.
      > >
      > > I have just purchased another Mipsel LSII.
      > > I am very much a newbie with Linux, but have succesfully installed
      > > Openlink, and Twonkyvision on my other LSII.
      > >
      > > I do not want to get too involved with Linux applications as such,
      > > but would very much like to improve the Samba on this new LSII,
      as I
      > > find the stock installation too limiting with share permissions.
      > >
      > > I am aware of Samba 3.xx being available along with the SWAT admin
      > > tool
      > >
      > > I would like to install this on my new Mipsel LSII, but do not
      really
      > > know where to start.
      > > What firmware will support the installation ? Openlink. Or do I
      have
      > > to go the Debian route (which I do not understand, and don't
      really
      > > need).
      > >
      > > The files for Samba 3.09 are available in the files section on
      this
      > > group, I know that, but would very much like a little help, and
      > > pointers how to go about installing.
      > >

      > > Many Thanks
      > >
      > > Pete
      > >

      > If you go for Debian, it will surely ease your package management
      > efforts. Just an apt-get can get samba running in a minute.
      >
      > If you want to stick to Openlink, I do have documented my steps in
      > updating samba. However, I cannot retrieve it until a week later
      when
      > my web server is up again.

      Calvinlsc.

      Many thanks for your reply.

      I would prefer if possible to stay with Openlink f/w for the moment,
      as I already have it on my first LSII, and I am familiar enough with
      flashing that.

      I do only really want the extra functionality of SWAT to control
      extra share permissions, and perhaps play with other samba
      possibilities (PDC's etc).

      However, that aside Debian sounds interesting, and if it is easy to
      install might be an option. I was rather confused by the install info
      on the Wiki, but if there are easier ways, then I am listening.

      I would appreciate it, if you would look out those instructions for
      me when you do get your web server back on line, (or email them to me
      perhaps).

      Kind Regards

      Pete
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic