5012Re: Updating Samba on an LSII

  • calvinlsc
    Mar 27 12:56 AM
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "g0pkh"
      <peter.hillyer@...> wrote:

      > Hi all.
      >
      > I have just purchased another Mipsel LSII.
      > I am very much a newbie with Linux, but have succesfully installed
      > Openlink, and Twonkyvision on my other LSII.
      >
      > I do not want to get too involved with Linux applications as such,
      > but would very much like to improve the Samba on this new LSII, as I
      > find the stock installation too limiting with share permissions.
      >
      > I am aware of Samba 3.xx being available along with the SWAT admin
      > tool
      >
      > I would like to install this on my new Mipsel LSII, but do not really
      > know where to start.
      > What firmware will support the installation ? Openlink. Or do I have
      > to go the Debian route (which I do not understand, and don't really
      > need).
      >
      > The files for Samba 3.09 are available in the files section on this
      > group, I know that, but would very much like a little help, and
      > pointers how to go about installing.
      >

      > Many Thanks
      >
      > Pete

      If you go for Debian, it will surely ease your package management
      efforts. Just an apt-get can get samba running in a minute.

      If you want to stick to Openlink, I do have documented my steps in
      updating samba. However, I cannot retrieve it until a week later when
      my web server is up again.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic