4957Re: Stuck, trying to load Slimserver

  • ken_simler
    Mar 7 10:45 AM
      Re finding "Share", try looking under /mnt/hda . That might be where
      they put it on your model LS. More generally, if you don't find it
      there, search around the directories to see if you find it.

      TIP: When you list a directory's contents using "ls -l", the lines
      that begin with "d" (i.e., the very first letter on the left) are
      directories, so cd into there or list the contents of that directory
      (e.g., "ls -l /mnt/hda/" noting the final /).

      Re logging in as root, are you not prompted for a username at some point?

      I see you've posted on the SlimDevices forum. If you don't get any
      other responses here it might be better to focus your attention there.
      And vice versa. Either forum is fine, but when you split the
      discussion the advice can become rather fractured, and often redundant.

      -K

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Richard Jay <lists@...> wrote:

      > The LS came with the "Share" by default and I can see & access that in
      > Windows.
      >
      > When I telnet in I don't see any mention of being logged in as root.
      How
      > exactly am I supposed to logon as root using telnet ? At the moment
      I'm
      > simply typing the IP address.
      >
      > I haven't really done much other than flash the firmware and then do:
      > dropbearkey -t dss -f /etc/dropbear/dropbear_dss_host_key
      > dropbearkey -t rsa -f /etc/dropbear/dropbear_rsa_host_key
      > changed the password successfully
      > rm /etc/rc.d/rc2.d/S05utelnetd
      >
      > R.
      >
      > ken_simler wrote:
      >
      > >I don't have access to my LS at present, so it's hard to say. Did you
      > >create the share named "Share" using the LS web interface or what?
      > >
      > >Your comments about no ssh access and no password prompting via telnet
      > >are a bit troubling. Try re-tracing your steps there to see if you can
      > >get that straightened out. When you telnet in, are you logged on as
      root?

      > >I'll see if something else comes to mind when I can access my LS.
      > >

      > >--- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Jay" <lists@>
      > >wrote:
      > >

      > >>cd /mnt/share
      > >>
      > >>just gives a "no such directory" error
      > >>
      > >>If I do ls -l /mnt I see 6 directories but do not see "share". I see
      > >>"hda", "info", "ram", "slimserver" (an empty directory that I created
      > >>as a test), "usbdisk1", "usbdisk2" & "usbinfo".
      > >>
      > >>This is via telnt as SSH gives me connection refused. When I telnet in
      > >>I am not asked for a password, which doesn't seem right to me as I
      > >>thought I changed it when I followed the commands in the README file
      > >>with the new firmware.
      > >>
      > >>--- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ken_simler"

      > >>got:

      > >Slimerserver