4926Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: HD-HG250 with Freelink trying to spindown

  • stephen
    Mar 1, 2006
      Thanks for your help James.  First I think i am going to focus on noflushd.  I did originally installed it using apt-get.  Noflushd is still failing to run quoting this error:
      "BUG at state.c line 134: Unable to determine device dir at /dev/mtdblocka
      Segmentation fault
      I used dpkg-reconfigure (thanks for the tip as I origionally did not specify any drive and did not know how to go through this process again) and have set "etc/default/noflush" as follows:
      TIMEOUT="1"
      DISKS="/dev/hda1"
      #PARAMS="-r /dev/sdb -n 60,5 /dev/hda -t 15,default /dev/hdc"
      (I have ommited all other comments here).  My fstab is as follows:
      #
      /dev/hda1       /               ext3    defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro      0 0
      proc            /proc           proc    defaults                        0 0
      none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=20            0 0
      /dev/hda2    swap        swap    defaults            0 0
      /dev/hda3    /mnt        ext3    defaults,noatime        0 0
      (Note restoration of ext3).  Does everything look ok so far?

      stephen

      James Stewart wrote:
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stephenblender"
      <stephen@...> wrote:

      > Neither hdparm nore noflushd have allowed me to spindown my hard
      > drive.   Hdparm has no effect, noflushd has an "error on line 168
      > cannot find device"

      > Regarding noflushd:  On the product website they advise mounting a
      > filesystem 'devfs' which i have been unable to do succesfully
      > using variations of "mount -t ext3 devfs /devfs"

      Did you install noflushd from Debian so that it would be
      automatically set up for you?  When I did:

      apt-get install noflushd

      it just worked.  I then modified its settings
      in /etc/default/noflush to my liking.

      Forget about devfs.  The linkstation isn't using it and current
      Linux versions have phased it out in favor of "udev" anyway.  As
      long as things are correct in fstab and you are feeding noflushd
      sane settings, it should work.

      > I read that journalling filesystems such as
      > ext3 can be the problem so tried switching to ext2 by changing
      > /etc/fstab.

      You should really put it back to ext3 before you really get into
      trouble.  If you have an "improper shutdown" while it is in ext2
      mode, I'm not sure if the linkstation's current init scrips will
      know what to do to fix it and it might hang the bootup and require
      you to hack the file system by putting the drive in another Linux
      machine.  Yes, there are issues with ext3, but that is what noflushd
      is suppose to take care of (hdparm alone does not).  It works on my
      ext3.

      > Really i am just in the early stages of playing around with both
      > linux and the linkstation.  Freelink and
      > Samba were my fist two projects, next is either apache or lighttpd
      > (documention vs performance)

      Here is my advice:  Always install/upgrade/delete applications using
      Debian's package management tools when you are using Debian Linux
      (Freelink).  Even when things go wrong there is usually a way to fix
      it using the package management tools (apt-get, dpkg, aptitude,
      synaptic, etc).  This even includes many configuration tasks (using
      things like "dpkg-reconfigure <application-name>" whenever possible.
      It seems like everytime you try to fight Debian's package management
      system, you loose, but if you bring it over to your side to fight
      the problem, you win.

      Finally, other tools to see what is running:

      1) Do a "ps -A > report.txt", then post report.txt to us so we can
      see everything you are running and comment on it.  (On viewing
      report.txt on a Windows machine: open it with Wordpad instead of
      Notepad to get the newlines translated correctly)

      2) Install "top" or "mtop" with apt-get.  They give you real time
      stats of what is running and when.  If something (non kernel
      related) starts up, you should see it "blip" on the list.

      3) There are probably even better things than #2 above, maybe
      someone else can comment.

      Welcome to Linux.  It has a steep learning curve, but it is worth
      it.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic