4410Re: Cool'n Quiet on LS2 MIPS

  • prezet2005
    Nov 21, 2005
      Thanks woody - I've been working on this a bit recently, and since my post a number of
      things have changed. Firstly I've stopped allowing cron to run the job as it 'wakes' the
      box, and am now running it in /etc/init.d on a loop, which seems to be working well.

      (a) Logging is still to add at a later date.
      (b) I had the same problem of the box not spinning down, it came down to 2 processes
      which kept waking the box: ftp and samba, once I turned both of them off it sleeps like a
      baby. I've also run logging tests of the temperature of the drive while in spun down mode
      and it cools quickly.
      (c) I don't want to allow smartctl to check the temp while sleeping, as I'm running the
      script to check every 1 minute, if I allowed it to check the box wold never sleep.

      The AVR does lots of things, but importantly controls the speed of the fan.

      Will keep you updated once I get the script progressed..

      Lee

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Woody" <serenity@w...> wrote:

      > Thanks! That script looks good. I just installed smartmontools on my
      > dev box to try it out and I can get the temperature down from 38
      > to 26 C by keeping the HDD spun down.
      >
      > The only thing I want to add to your script is
      >
      > (a) a whole load of logging so I can see what is going on
      > (b) test the temperature if the disk is in standby n times in a row
      > otherwise we might just be catching it after a load of activity but
      > in fact it is quite hot. However doesn't seem much chance of that
      > even though I set called hdparm -S6 /dev/hda3 (spin down after
      > 30 seconds) it is not spinning down. I really don't want to
      > get into why this is: if there are processes that need to do IO
      > then they need to do it
      > (c) after calling smartctl, call hdparm -y /dev/hda3 because the disk
      > will have been woken out of standby
      >
      > BTW what does AVR stand for?
      >
      > > # AVR
      > > #
      > > TTY="/dev/ttyS0"
      >

      > Woody
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "prezet2005" <powell.lee.
      > imac@g...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been having a look at Cool&Quiet on the MIPSEL, I was/am
      > getting the problem of
      > > getting C&Q to run properly because my drive wouldn't stay in
      > standby mode for very long
      > > before Samba and 'kupdated' would ping the drive and spin it back
      > up. Which renders
      > > C&Q useless because it's very rarely in standby mode.
      > >
      > > Due to this I've been working on a script which is called by cron
      > every ten minutes that
      > > checks the disks spinning status, and/or temp and adjusts the fan
      > speed accordingly. It's
      > > still a working project, but here's the script I'm using:
      > >
      > > #!/bin/sh
      > >
      > > # HD
      > > #
      > > MAX_TEMP=35
      > > DISKSLEEP="$(/sbin/hdparm -C /dev/hda | /bin/grep 'standby' -c)"
      > >
      > > # AVR
      > > #
      > > TTY="/dev/ttyS0"
      > > SLOW="\\\\"
      > > FAST="]]]]"
      > >

      > > # ... we need to be 'root'
      > > #
      > > if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
      > > echo "You need 'root' permissions for this script. Try 'sudo
      > silence'."
      > > exit 1
      > > fi
      > >
      > > if [ "$DISKSLEEP" = 1 ]; then
      > > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
      > > else
      > > HD_TEMP=`smartctl -A /dev/hda | awk '/^194/ { print($10) }'`
      > > echo "Current HDD Temperature: $HD_TEMP"
      > > if [ $HD_TEMP -le $MAX_TEMP ]; then
      > > echo "${SLOW}" > $TTY
      > > else
      > > echo "${FAST}" > $TTY
      > > fi
      > > fi
      > >
      > > exit 0
      > >
      > > Basically, it checks if the HDD is in standby, if it is the fan
> [...]
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic