4392Re: Cool'n Quiet on LS2 MIPS

  • p_g_varney
    Nov 19, 2005
      The relevant process on LS2 is "mc_ctld". It seems to behave exactly
      as "ppc_uartd" on LS1, although on my LS2 (Openlink 052b) the fan at
      some point seems to start back up again after the script turns the fan
      off, even though the disk hasn't start spinning again. To get around
      this, I modified the script so that when it checks the fan status and
      sees the fan speed is in theory already set to low, I echo the command
      again to set it low just in case mc_ctld has set it high again.

      Also, regarding the logs, my LS2 with Openlink has all the logs on a
      ramdisk that gets backed up and restored to the HDD on
      startup/shutdown and once a day during the log rotate cron job, thus
      avoiding spinning up and shutting down the disk just to update the logs.

      Paul

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "andy_jf_alexanderuk"
      <andrew.alexander@i...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Has there been any more progress (or help needed) on getting this
      > working with the LS2.
      >
      > My fan is beginning to make my LS sound more like a jet engine than
      > a 'discrete' storage device.
      >
      > If any more info is needed, am more than happy to supply
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Andy

      [Snip]

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
      > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > To owners of noisy LS2's, (the Linstation fans have a short life)
      > > >
      > > > As the father of the CnQ script, if you want me to make try and
      > > make
      > > > it work on LS2 I need the exact name string of the UART daemon
      > > > process on LS2 called "ppc_uartd" on LS1. Know that there is a
      > > > condition when this process is stopped and I need it to run. So
      > > > always make sure it is running before handling any status change.
      > > >
      > > > I read the entire page below all the way down, no trace of UARTD
      > > > there. INSTEAD OPEN A TELNET ON YOUR LS2 AND TYPE THIS: ps -ef
      > > > Then post a reply with the output or whatever is the UARTD name
      > > > string.
      > > >
      > > > It boils down to test on LS2 you can try to bypass my script
      > > > manipulations of UARTD, then refresh my memory about why it is
      > > > required. It won't wipe out your disk instantly but I
      > > > *sort*of*recall* that daily cron log rotation around 4am stops
      > the
      > > > UARTD and without it the fan speed is stuck in watever status it
      > > was
      > > > before UARTD stop (thus explaining why I always check on it and
      > > > restard it when needed) - Well if I had an LS2 handy I could
      > > figure
      > > > this out.
      > > >
      > > > I have an enhancement up my sleeve to redirect log outputs to an
      > > > external USB key so the HDD does not get spun only to dump 2
      > lines
      > > > at the bottom of a log file. I see that happening about every 3
      > > > hours where instead my disk could sleep non-stop unless the
      > > network
      > > > needs it.
      > > > Sam.

      [Snip]