427Re: [LinkStation_General] Connecting to LinkStation w/ Crossover Cable?

    Dec 2, 2004
      Maybe your brother's computer is configured to not
      autoconfigure it's TCP/IP settings and therefor you
      are on a different network than the Linkstation? (try
      pinging the linkstation). Probably the Buffalo
      software runs out of the broadcast IP address (like
      dhcp) so it cuts through it all anyway.

      --- bubba <bubba@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > My LinkStation (firmware 1.44) is running fine on my
      > network, connected to a
      > router. However, I'd like to take the unit to my
      > brother's place, and
      > connect it directly to his machine to transfer data.
      > How is this achieved?
      > I've tried doing a direct, pc-to-LinkStation
      > connection, and it fails to
      > work. Flipping the "crossover" dipswitch on the back
      > makes the "link" light
      > on the front turn orange, and the client software
      > that is supplied with the
      > LS seems to see the unit. However, I can't access or
      > map the drive at all!
      >
      > Any ideas what I might be missing?
      >
      > regads,
      >
      > bub.