4026Re: Need help for usb automount with Murakasi

  • downlalaway
    Sep 9, 2005
      Hi Sylver,

      I have an LS1 running Debian, and get pretty good connection to a usb
      hard drive (and most other devices) using usb 2 -as in
      http://linkstationwiki.org/Articles/DebianUSBDevices . I didn't use
      the LS OS for more than a few days.

      To be honest never tried to get automount operating since very rarely
      use it. The debian I have has no /etc/murasaki just a usb-storage.o
      driver under
      /lib/modules/2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint/kernel/drivers/usb/storage
      These modules have been fudged in using a mix of ls and kuro-box
      drivers, autofs and hotplug installed through apt-get.
      kuro-box.com still seems to be down -I take it you've looked at
      linkstationwiki?
      I know little about the drivers or how to build a set but others do
      and would like to build a better one - as in
      http://linkstationwiki.org/forum/2_198_0.html

      I'm also told that hotplug doesn't work well on 2.4.17 (until 2.6) so
      that's the reason a reboot often makes it work. In which case
      automounting may be unreliable in practice. Also mine mounts only with
      mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/mntpoint whereas most would suggest
      /dev/sda1 would be more suitable. Whether this is a bug or just a
      strangeness of the modules mix?

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
      <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
      > I installed latest murasaki stable version (0.8.11), but the mount
      > script is still not running when inserting an usb drive :(
      > But i was able to make the 'samba/appletalk sharing updating' enabled
      > by replacing my '/bin/mkcode' by the one in the linkstation :)
      >
      > I think that i'll ask some help from the author of murasaki, if i got
      > the clue of the problem, i'll tell you as there is a similar problem
      > on the linkstation ;)
      >
      > Sylver
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "snatcher93"
      > <snatcher93@r...> wrote:
      > > Then, this is obviously a bug, as all is present to allow automount
      > > (kernel compiled with good options, murasaki catching hotplug
      > events
      > > (connect/disconnect), mount script that got some specific parts to
      > > handle a call from the startup script or from murasaki handler,
      > dynamic
      > > samba/netatalk sharing update ...
      > > But if it's not working on a linkstation, it won't work on my
      > > kurobox ... So, i have to found what the problem is ;)
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Sylver
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Bertram Doerfler"
      > > <ernie73@g...> wrote:
      > > > As far as I remember, there was a restart necessary when I
      > plugged in
      > > a usb
      > > > drive. No automated mounting. I converted to debian and haven't
      > tried
      > > > hotplug since.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic