3811Re: [LinkStation_General] new user with questions

  • Nick Pappas
    Aug 3, 2005
      The first step in adding a new webserver to your LinkStation is
      gaining access to the root account. This is done, at the moment, by
      updating your LinkStation with a modified version of the firmware
      giving you a new account to the root account.

      As a Mac user, I am unclear how you can do this. There may be a Mac
      update program available, but I've never seen one. Then again, I've
      never really looked. If possible, it is easy to update and not
      difficult to add a new webserver beyond that.

      You will have, in general, 3 choices to making a new webserver. You can:

      1) Create a second instance of the current running web server
      (thttpd). This is probably the quickest and easiest method, but
      thttpd is not the most powerful of web servers. Depending on what you
      want to do, you might need something more powerful.

      2) Apache is a good choice, as you can always find help about it in
      many places. I wrote a guide to installing Apache + PHP + MySQL at
      http://www.linkstationwiki.org It isn't hard, but as a new Linux
      user it'll just take you a little bit longer to go through the steps.
      This is the most powerful choice, but the memory requirements of
      Apache + MySQL are huge. Which leads us to...

      3) Wait for me to get around to try Lighttpd and Sqlite. These were
      suggested to me from others on this list and is something I will
      probably get around to trying to install on a stock LinkStation (vs.
      one that has had a completely new OS installed) sometime this weekend.

      Since you haven't gotten the LinkStation yet... 3 is currently your best bet. :)

      The hardest part about getting a new web server installed is
      configuring it. Just screwing around with all the config files to
      make sure it is behaving in the way you want it to. This just takes
      reading and practice. ;)

      On 8/3/05, Dan Freidus <colonial.americana@...> wrote:
      > I just ordered a Linkstation (Fry's Outpost had a rebate bringing the
      > 160Gb version down to $170) and found this group while trying learng
      > more as I wait for it to come in the mail. I'm not a Linux user but
      > would like to be able to add a web server to the Linkstation in
      > addition to the FTP server. I have access to WIndows machines at work
      > but at home I'm a Mac user. I see there's lot of info here from people
      > who have loaded Apache or other server software to their Linkstation.
      > How much effort and knowledge would be needed for a rank beginner with
      > Linux? Besides setting things up, would I be likely to encounter more
      > maintenance problems? If it's pretty easy, serving up static web pages
      > (or even running a SQL server) would be great, but I chose the
      > Linkstation for backup and FTP because it sounds pretty easy and
      > simple, so I don't want to get too involved. ANy advice?
      >
      > Dan

      Whatever you do - don't congratulate yourself too much, or berate
      yourself either.
      Your choices are half chance, and so are everybody else's.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic