3809new user with questions

  • Dan Freidus
    Aug 3, 2005
      I just ordered a Linkstation (Fry's Outpost had a rebate bringing the
      160Gb version down to $170) and found this group while trying learng
      more as I wait for it to come in the mail. I'm not a Linux user but
      would like to be able to add a web server to the Linkstation in
      addition to the FTP server. I have access to WIndows machines at work
      but at home I'm a Mac user. I see there's lot of info here from people
      who have loaded Apache or other server software to their Linkstation.
      How much effort and knowledge would be needed for a rank beginner with
      Linux? Besides setting things up, would I be likely to encounter more
      maintenance problems? If it's pretty easy, serving up static web pages
      (or even running a SQL server) would be great, but I chose the
      Linkstation for backup and FTP because it sounds pretty easy and
      simple, so I don't want to get too involved. ANy advice?

      Dan
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic