36Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Great idea, have NSLU2, just ordered Linkstation 160 for $80 (after rebate)

  • Stuart Stegall
    Sep 27, 2004
      Two other issues ... namely that the NSLU2 will probably never compile out of box with a stock linux kernel and likely it will be so
      with many major system utilities. The PPC platform is the 3rd best supported linux platforms (behind x86_64 and x86) and the
      LinkStation is really not a very strange PPC box. I can already boot of a basic PPC kernel. I'll submit some trivial patches that
      will probably take care of the problems that aren't supported generically right now. But all in all, I can boot off a 2.6.9-rc2
      pretty easy at the moment.

      mphoust2 wrote:
      > I just ordered a LinkStation 120 from newegg after wrestling with the
      > same question.
      >
      > The main reason I chose it was the larger amount of RAM (64 MB vs
      > 32MB, I think). I plan to run a Source Code Control system on it and
      > 32MB seemed a bit small. Maybe a small webserver too...
      >
      > The LinkStation also appears to be a little easier to get telnet and
      > root access on (might not be much harder on NSLU2 now). Plus the
      > yellowdog binary RPMs covers a lot of the utils that I would need.
      >
      > The drawbacks are that Linksys is a much bigger name in the business
      > than Buffalo. The NSLU2 has much bigger english-language following
      > right now. I hope the Linkstation will catch up.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic