35Re: Great idea, have NSLU2, just ordered Linkstation 160 for $80 (after rebate)

  • mphoust2
    Sep 27, 2004
      I just ordered a LinkStation 120 from newegg after wrestling with the
      same question.

      The main reason I chose it was the larger amount of RAM (64 MB vs
      32MB, I think). I plan to run a Source Code Control system on it and
      32MB seemed a bit small. Maybe a small webserver too...

      The LinkStation also appears to be a little easier to get telnet and
      root access on (might not be much harder on NSLU2 now). Plus the
      yellowdog binary RPMs covers a lot of the utils that I would need.

      The drawbacks are that Linksys is a much bigger name in the business
      than Buffalo. The NSLU2 has much bigger english-language following
      right now. I hope the Linkstation will catch up.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Inframan" <inframan@c...>
      wrote:
      > I've been debating between the NSLU and the LinkStation.
      > What are the merits of the LinkStation over the NSLU.
      >
      > Are there some web sites (non-Japanese) that contain essential
      > LinkStation info?
      > Is there a growing interest/community that may make the Linkstation a
      > better choice for down the road?
      >

      > NSLU ($80, new $71 refurb at NewEgg
      > http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-
      > 036&depa=0 )
      >
      > LinkStation
      > (120GB $200 after rebate
      > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-155-
      > 302&depa=0
      > 160 GB $230 after rebate
      > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-155-
      > 303&depa=0 )
      >
      > > > Before acquiring an NSLU2 I posted a couple of places that the
      > > > Linkstation looked like more of what I was looking for, but
      > lacked the
      > > > community enhancing this product line's function. Well, was going
      > > > get some more storage for the church setup, and noticed that
      > > > outpost.com has an $80 rebate on Linkstation 160 with free
      > shipping, see:
      > > > http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4194083?
      > site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
      > > >
      > > > Don't know how much longer these will be available, very short
      > window
      > > > on the rebate $50 rebate is for Linkstation 160s bought between
      > > > 22Sept2004 and 29Sept2004 in US.
      > > >
      > > > Cheers de Mark @ 7tronics
      > > > (sorry, use sneakemail to lessen the spam...)
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic