3350Re: BitTorrent Daemon

    Jul 2, 2005
      There is the utility called "screen" which lets you "background" an
      entire shell (telnet) session, as well as have multiple sessions
      running, then be able to reconnect to them later. Someone got it
      working on the original LS1 a while back. I have it on my
      Debianized one (but hardly used it because I use a graphical VNC
      desktop instead).

      If you are interested in it and can't get it going, let me know and
      I might be able to come up with a version that will run for you If
      you have an LS-1. For an LS-2 you might need to hunt down an LS-2
      owner to test it.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "superg00fy"
      <supergoofy@k...> wrote:

      > Hi, I've installed the BitTorrent package from the wiki, but I
      > haven't found a way to make my download to stay in background!

      > There is also an utility to monitor all the downloads always
      > written in Python, but that make use of a simple GUI, so it
      > must be changed to work in text-mode/web.

      > Unfortunately it was made for gentoo, ... So I just wanted to know
      > if anyone already has tryed it and adapted to the linkstation

      Also I think some people are doing it this way, at least running
      some sort of bittorrent client that runs in the background like
      this. As far a Python, it is an "interpreted" lanquage. So this
      means you don't need to worry about what OS it was "compiled" for or
      any thing like that, you "just" have to get the Python interpreter
      installed and running.

      Someone should to a HowTo on running bittorrent in the background.
      I would be interested because it seems cleaner to me than running it
      in a background-able shell or VNC environment.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic