2784Re: [LinkStation_General] Linkstation lock-ups?

  • Ron Thacker
    Jun 3 8:52 AM
      Had very similar problems with mine also. I found out
      the Linkstation is very sensitive to external
      electro-magnetic fields. Sometime just by moving it a
      little it would stop the lockups.
      After I put the Linkstation in its permant home it
      started locking again, it was within 3" of a ups. I
      made a shield out of sheet metal and placed between
      the ups and the Linky and all is well.
      PS. I have 2 120 Linkys and both have this problem.

      --- Steve Lemke <steve@...> wrote:

      > Just about every time I try to access my 160GB
      > (PowerPC?) Linkstation
      > lately (every couple of days or so), I find that it
      > is totally
      > unresponsive. Sometimes I notice that the drive is
      > starting up and
      > spinning down over and over (not constantly, but as
      > I'm sitting here at
      > my desk), though I don't know if that's related or
      > not.
      >
      > When it's locked up, I find that I can't access the
      > web page, telnet is
      > dead, and mt-daapd is unresponsive as well.
      >
      > It's entirely possible that mt-daapd could be at
      > fault here, but a
      > quick Google search turned up the following user
      > review that seems to
      > echo what I've been finding:
      >
      > <http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-3382_7-30980068.html?

      messageSiteID=7&messageID=946009&cval=946009&ctype=msgid>

      > I've been on this list for many months and don't
      > recall this topic
      > coming up before but it's possible I may have missed
      > it.
      >
      > I guess I could disable mt-daapd and see if the
      > problem stops, but that
      > kind of removes the primary reason I had for buying
      > the Linkstation in
      > the first place (besides backups via Retrospect).
      >
      > When I log in, the prompt says
      > "2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint". The web page
      > says I have firmware 1.44 (I haven't been too keen
      > on upgrading
      > anything for fear of losing my telnet access; the
      > only thing that would
      > entice me would be a newer OSX-happier version of
      > netatalk since I
      > haven't been interested in hacking that in myself).
      >
      > I haven't changed anything really, except enabling
      > telnet, and
      > installing mt-daap 0.2.1.1 which appears to still be
      > the latest
      > "stable" release. mt-daapd works great after a
      > reboot, but I usually
      > notice that the Linkstation is wedged when I try to
      > play tunes from
      > iTunes (or via Samba from my AudioTron) and the
      > music never comes.
      >
      > Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

      Discover Yahoo!