2773Re: Linkstation lock-ups?

  • irvine_stock
    Jun 1, 2005
      Your lockups are probably caused by the 1.44 firmware.
      I had the same problem a year ago.
      How long have you put up with the lockups?
      With the new 1.47_modified you get telnet enabled and you don't have
      to hack it anymore.
      And you know the password for root.
      Upgrade and I bet all your problems go away.

      Rich
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lemke <steve@l...>
      wrote:
      > Just about every time I try to access my 160GB (PowerPC?) Linkstation
      > lately (every couple of days or so), I find that it is totally
      > unresponsive. Sometimes I notice that the drive is starting up and
      > spinning down over and over (not constantly, but as I'm sitting here
      at
      > my desk), though I don't know if that's related or not.
      >
      > When it's locked up, I find that I can't access the web page, telnet
      is
      > dead, and mt-daapd is unresponsive as well.
      >
      > It's entirely possible that mt-daapd could be at fault here, but a
      > quick Google search turned up the following user review that seems to
      > echo what I've been finding:
      >
      > <http://reviews.cnet.com/4864-3382_7-30980068.html?
      > messageSiteID=7&messageID=946009&cval=946009&ctype=msgid>
      >
      > I've been on this list for many months and don't recall this topic
      > coming up before but it's possible I may have missed it.
      >
      > I guess I could disable mt-daapd and see if the problem stops, but
      that
      > kind of removes the primary reason I had for buying the Linkstation in
      > the first place (besides backups via Retrospect).
      >
      > When I log in, the prompt says "2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint". The web page
      > says I have firmware 1.44 (I haven't been too keen on upgrading
      > anything for fear of losing my telnet access; the only thing that
      would
      > entice me would be a newer OSX-happier version of netatalk since I
      > haven't been interested in hacking that in myself).
      >
      > I haven't changed anything really, except enabling telnet, and
      > installing mt-daap 0.2.1.1 which appears to still be the latest
      > "stable" release. mt-daapd works great after a reboot, but I usually
      > notice that the Linkstation is wedged when I try to play tunes from
      > iTunes (or via Samba from my AudioTron) and the music never comes.
      >
      > Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic