204Re: Problem Replacing the HD

  • jpneflim
    Nov 6, 2004
      I didnt do any partitioning. I took the new drive out of the box put
      it in the Linkstation and ran the firmware upgrade. If any
      partitioning was done the firmware upgrade did it. I am not familiar
      with Linux commands so most of the posts on this group are unfamiliar.
      I did a HD upgrade from a Windows perspective.
      J Watson

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
      wrote:
      > Do you need to setup the initial partitions first perhaps? I know you
      > need at least 3 partitions
      >
      > /dev/hda1 -- main root partition, can be just about any size.. Mine is
      > ~2Gb now
      > /dev/hda2 -- swap sized accordingly -- I'd suggest a few hundred megs
      > to be safe
      > /dev/hda3 -- this is the "big" partition and could/should be the rest
      > of the available space.
      >
      > -- Rick
      >
      > On Nov 6, 2004, at 6:17 PM, jpneflim wrote:
      >

      > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
      did:
      > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
      router.
      > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
      > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
      > > J Watson
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
      > > wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I
      took
      > >> it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
      > >> attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
      > >>
      > >> Any help is appreciated.
      > >>
      > >> Thanks
      > >>
      > >> Jamy
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links