188Re: Things not working in V1.44 firmware?

  • born_daniel
    Nov 4, 2004
      Hee-hee! I fixed the NTP function! This is so much fun! ;-)
      I put "timezone=-5" (without the brackets) in /etc/timezone (since I
      live in EST). I even managed to correct the .pl script to
      say "Syncronized Time" instead and even fixed the "?" help box :-)

      Now my NTP works!

      Daniel
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, David Walters
      <david@j...> wrote:
      > (I've just upgraded mine to 1.44 so I'm only just beginning to
      look
      > around...)
      >
      > On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 10:08:12AM -0800, Rick Flower wrote:
      > > > There's also a problem with the timezones during DST times
      > > > (advancing the local timezone by one) and NTP and setting the
      time
      > > > from the PC's clock. It's ok now but only until the first week
      of
      > > > April ;-)
      > >
      > > I believe that the time is set via a cron job as I see
      occasional lines in
      > > the system logs indicating that
      >
      > There is a cronjob but it seems a little broken.
      >
      > The Web interface has a "Synchronized Interval" setting which
      claims
      > to allow you to set the clock to update every n hours. In reality
      it
      > creates a cronjob which will be called at n hours (so at 6am
      rather
      > than 4 times a day every 6 hours):
      >
      > root@links:/etc# crontab -l
      > 00 6 * * * /etc/cron.d/ntpdate
      >
      > The ntpdate script itself doesn't actually work on mine, it
      requires
      > a /etc/timezone which doesn't exist.
      >
      > Commenting out the line where it tries to execute /etc/timezone
      seems
      > to do no harm but then I live in GMT.
      >
      > David
      > --
      > David Walters +44 7989 574 161 david@j...
      > A. Because it breaks the logical order of conversation.
      > Q. Why is top posting bad?
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic