1233Re: turned my ls into a kurobrick

  • timid1200
    Feb 1, 2005
      Hi Juan, and thanks for your reply.

      Unfortunately, things are not so cheery for me. My hard drive is just
      fine; I'm having problems with the flash (i.e., before my hard drive
      even gets looked at, the system bonks out).

      Right now I'm considering building a flash reader/programmer and
      re-programming my flash using an image read off of a friend's LS120.

      Tim

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jose Quezada <syle@y...>
      wrote:
      > tim, u can what i did: remove the hd and attach it to
      > another computer, then use knoppix to access you hda1
      > and fix your firmware.
      >
      > jq
      > --- timid1200 <timid1200@y...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hey guys,
      > >
      > > I followed the diretions at
      > > http://www.kurobox.com/online/tiki-index.php?page=
      > > Turn+your+Linkstation+into+a+Kuro+Box,
      > > including checking to make sure I had the 4MB LS
      > > (mine is an LS120). I
      > > was planning on making the box a gentoo box after
      > > having a lot of
      > > trouble with dependencies when trying to install new
      > > software.
      > >
      > > Got all the way to the last step, that is, logging
      > > into the the kuro
      > > and overwriting the firmware:
      > >
      > > cat /mnt/share/firmimg.bin > /dev/fl1
      > >
      > > When I telnetted in it even had a cool KURO motd and
      > > all that. After
      > > issuing this command, the box did blinkenlights for
      > > a long time. A
      > > very long time. After about 10 minutes, it went
      > > dead, and the DIAG
      > > light started blinking.
      > >
      > > Now, when I power the box up, the power light blinks
      > > a couple times,
      > > the link light goes on, and then within 5 seconds of
      > > powering up it
      > > powers down and flashes the dreaded DIAG light.
      > >
      > > What's more, it flashes 5 times, meaning a flash
      > > fault.
      > >
      > > Booting into EM mode doesn't seem to do much, as the
      > > box doesn't seem
      > > to respond to the IPSetup or firmware update tool.
      > >
      > > I think I'm kuroscrewed here.
      > >
      > > Thoughts? Condolences? ;)
      > >
      > > Tim

      > http://mail.yahoo.com