1061Re: slimserver startup script available here!

  • born_daniel
    Jan 23, 2005
      Jack,

      I did this script a while back so I hope I didn't forget any details
      since...

      I used to have my installation in a folder named as yours but I
      later decided to change it to /usr/local/slimserver so that when I
      upgrade to future versions, I don't end up having to change several
      paths all over... But yes, what you did is correct.

      I believe slimserver will create a new preference/configuration file
      in /etc if it doesn't find one. You can change the env. var. to
      point to your path/file. It's the same thing.

      The log file will be created there automatically, no need to have it
      there before you start it.

      The /var/lock/subsys/slimserver is an empty file and it's there to
      tell if the slimserver was started or stopped. It's not supposed to
      be there when slimserver isn't started from the script. I "inspired"
      myself from somebody else's script that I found a while back and
      adapted it to my needs. I decided to also use the 'ps' command to
      tell if the actual slimserver.pl process is running (and not just
      started)...

      The /etc/opt/slim.disable will only be there if you do not want to
      have the slimserver run automatically at boot up. Otherwise, the
      file won't be there... You might need to create some missing
      directories on you LS if they don't exist...

      Good Luck and let me know if there's anything else I can do... This
      is my first attempt at supplying one of my own scripts with
      a "howto" written on the fly so it might not be ready for "prime
      time" yet... ;-) Any additional steps that you had to take to make
      this work, please let me know and I can make my script and/or how-to
      document better!

      Regards,
      Daniel

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackfikkers"
      <jfikkers@h...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
      > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
      > > Hello Daniel,
      > Thanks for the script. I tried it right away, without any luck
      though.
      > My slimserver.pl file resides in
      > /usr/local/slimserver/SlimServer_v5.4.0 so that is what I changed
      in
      > SLIMSERVER_HOME.
      > I can't find the "slimserver.conf" file in /etc. But I found a
      > ".slimserver.pref" in /root. What does that one do?
      > Furthermore the slimserver.log doesn't exist as well in /tmp.
      > The /var/lock/subsys/slimserver and /etc/opt slim.disable are
      missing to.
      > The symbolic links in rc2.d and rc6.d are there after I created
      them.

      > I can still start the slimserver by typing:
      > perl slimserver.pl after I cd
      to /usr/local/slimserver/SlimServer_v5.4.0

      > So thanks for the help but I not there yet.
      > It is probebly something silly I am overseeing but I'm not much of
      > linux man yet. But I will get there somehow.
      >
      > Jack
      >
      > > Jack,
      > >
      > > I've added my own "slimstart" file to the files section. Please
      feel
      > > free to use it and adapt it to your needs. Of course you will
      need
      > > to change the directory paths to your own but it should be
      mostly
      > > good.
      > >
      > > If you copy this file in /etc/init.d (make sure it's in Unix
      > > format...), then also create soft-links in the following
      directories:

      > > in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d create a soft link named S80slimstart (ln -
      > > s ../init.d/slimstart S80slimstart)
      > > in /etc/rc.d/rc6.d create a soft link named K30slimstart (ln -
      > > s ../init.d/slimstart K30slimstart)
      > >
      > > This will take care of automatically starting and stopping the
      > > slimserver when you boot-up/shutdown the LS (or Kuro!)
      > >
      > > I also created a soft-link in /usr/local/bin (named slimstart)
      so I
      > > can access this script from any location...
      > >
      > > Now I've made this script very versatile because I plan to
      > > (eventually) integrate its use into the LS' web interface.
      > >
      > > If you just type slimstart with no arguments, it will give you
      the
      > > list of arguments you can use:
      > >
      > > {start|stop|restart|reload|status|enable|disable|isenabled}
      > >
      > > start: standard way to start the slimserver. This is used when
      the
      > > linkstation boots.
      > >
      > > stop: standard way to stop the slimserver. This is used when the
      > > linkstation shuts down.
      > >
      > > restart/reload: simply does stop and then start. This is there
      for
      > > compatibility purposes.
      > >
      > > status: this will tell you if the slimserver was started with
      the
      > > start/restart/reload command and if it is currently running
      (using
      > > the 'ps' command). It returns an errorlevel and a text message.
      > >
      > > enable: This will enable the slimserver to be started with the
      start
      > > command (see disable).
      > >
      > > disable: This allows to disable the loading of the slimserver by
      the
      > > start command. This is usefull when you do not want it to be
      started
      > > automatically when booting up the LS.
      > >
      > > isenabled: Returns the status of the enable/disable setting. It
      > > returns an errorlevel and a text message.
      > >
      > > Here, hope this helps!
      > > Daniel
      > > P.S. I will copy this information in the "how-to" section as
      well...

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jackfikkers"
      > > <jfikkers@h...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ianlawton68"

      LinkStation
      > > has

      > > > Hello Ian,
      > > >
      > > > Is it still possible to get access to the Perl 5.8.5 release?
      > > > If so, I like to have the details to login and download.
      > > > I have the slimserver 5.4.0 up and running with Perl 5.6.1 and
      > > would
      > > > like to upgrade Perl.
      > > > Another issue I'm struggling with is a startup script. I found
      > > lot
      > > > of info already and I am using the "skeleton" in init.d to
      make it
      > > > work but so far no luck.
      > > > Thanks for all the info so far!
      > > >
      > > > Jack