Re: [LFN] Gerund

  • George Boeree
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2008
      Alo!

      There is no true gerund in LFN. You have only a choice between the
      verb simply used as a noun (by preceding it with an article or
      similar word), and the infinitive (-r form) which is actually a
      conceptual or abstract noun. In English, the gerund is usually the
      same as the active (present) participle. So, to translate such
      sentences...

      I like swimming > Me gusta nada / Me gusta nadar / Me gusta un nada

      Swimming es fun > Nadar es joios / Un nada es joios

      After another verb, you can use either the -r form or the simple form
      (I like to swim or I like swim), or you can use the more specific
      form (I like a swim). Otherwise, you should use the -r form.

      Changing my shirt didn't take much time > Cambiar me camisa no dura
      longa.

      You can use direct objects after the -r form.

      Going home, I suddenly remembered my hat > Entre me ia vade a me
      casa, me ia recorda subita me xapo.

      Going home is really an adverbial phrase, and in lfn these are a
      little more fully developed (while I go home, literally, or while I
      was going home)

      I hope that helps!

      Jorj