Re: [LingPipe] Character LM Tutorial (patch for 4.0.1)

  • Bob Carpenter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
      Heather:

      Thanks for reporting this (see below). It's a bug in the
      demo, which you diagnosed correctly.

      I removed most of the parsers for the 4.0 release
      and moved them to the demos or to other packages.

      The reason our automated tests didn't catch it is
      because the parser's being loaded through reflection,
      so everything compiled just fine.

      I'll fix it for the next release, but for now, I
      uploaded the two patches you need:

      ----------------------------------

      1. Download the patched parser (which I forgot
      to include in 4.0):

      http://alias-i.com/drop/MedlineTextParser.java

      and put it in

      $LINGPIPE/demos/tutorial/lm/src/

      2. Download the patched LM demo build.xml file from:

      http://alias-i.com/drop/build.xml

      and put it in

      $LINGPIPE/demos/tutorial/lm/

      -----------------------------------

      All of this is going to move into simpler demos in the
      book. Most of the demos we have in place have way
      too much configuration in the way of the basic ideas.

      - Bob Carpenter
      LingPipe

      On 11/01/2010 01:04 PM, hdeweyh wrote:
      > I am having trouble running the Character LM Tutorial (I have
      > successfully run many other tutorials). When I run the demo I get the
      > following output:
      > [java] TEXT PARSER CLASS=com.aliasi.corpus.parsers.MedlineTextParser
      > Do I need to download the parsers somewhere separately?
    • hdeweyh
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2010
        Along with a clean build this works perfectly, thanks!

        --- In LingPipe@yahoogroups.com, Bob Carpenter <carp@...> wrote:

        > Heather:
        >
        > Thanks for reporting this (see below). It's a bug in the
        > demo, which you diagnosed correctly.
        >
        > I removed most of the parsers for the 4.0 release
        > and moved them to the demos or to other packages.
        >
        > The reason our automated tests didn't catch it is
        > because the parser's being loaded through reflection,
        > so everything compiled just fine.
        >
        > I'll fix it for the next release, but for now, I
        > uploaded the two patches you need:
        >
        > ----------------------------------
        >
        > 1. Download the patched parser (which I forgot
        > to include in 4.0):
        >
        > http://alias-i.com/drop/MedlineTextParser.java
        >
        > and put it in
        >
        > $LINGPIPE/demos/tutorial/lm/src/
        >
        > 2. Download the patched LM demo build.xml file from:
        >
        > http://alias-i.com/drop/build.xml
        >
        > and put it in
        >
        > $LINGPIPE/demos/tutorial/lm/
        >
        > -----------------------------------
        >
        > All of this is going to move into simpler demos in the
        > book. Most of the demos we have in place have way
        > too much configuration in the way of the basic ideas.
        >
        > - Bob Carpenter
        > LingPipe
        >
        > On 11/01/2010 01:04 PM, hdeweyh wrote:
        > > I am having trouble running the Character LM Tutorial (I have
        > > successfully run many other tutorials). When I run the demo I get the
        > > following output:
        > > [java] TEXT PARSER CLASS=com.aliasi.corpus.parsers.MedlineTextParser
        > > Do I need to download the parsers somewhere separately?

      • Emre
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 8, 2010
          --- In LingPipe@yahoogroups.com, Bob Carpenter <carp@...> wrote:

          > Heather:
          >
          > Thanks for reporting this (see below). It's a bug in the
          > demo, which you diagnosed correctly.
          >
          > I removed most of the parsers for the 4.0 release
          > and moved them to the demos or to other packages.

          I had exactly the same problem today and your fix worked just fine. Thanks a lot.