Considering Lidcombe method for my son

  • smg0918
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2004
      My son, who is now four, has been receiving speech therapy since
      October (three times per week, 1/2 hour per session). At the time of
      his initial evaluation, he was deemed "severely dysfluent" and most
      often exhibited part-word repetitions and severe eye blinking. He
      has made amazing progress in what I consider a short period of time.
      We rarely hear part-word repetitions anymore, but he has now started
      exhibiting severe prolongations. His dysfluency has always been
      fairly intermittent (i.e., months of dysfluency followed by months of
      relative fluency). His therapist has voiced to me her concern about
      the prolongations now, as he does not appear to be able to overcome
      this problem as well as he did the part-word repetitions.

      The therapist has suggested the Lidcombe method as a possibility.
      She is not yet trained in it, but her supervisor (who did our son's
      initial evaluation) is. I have just begun researching this method
      and would like to know if it is successful in overcoming
      prolongations as compared to part-word repetitions.

      We are a bit frustrated in that our current therapist is a bit young
      and sometimes gives us conflicting advice, such as asking us to point
      out his dysfluencies when they occur, and then in a matter of days
      asking us not to do that but rather asking us to point out fluent
      speech instead.

      Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome, as we really want to
      do all we can to help him overcome this. His therapy is currently
      covered by our school district, but as things stand now I don't
      believe he will qualify for an IEP for next year, when he starts
      kindergarten. Any therapy he undergoes after the end of this
      academic year will be self-pay for us, so we are wanting to maximize
      any and all therapy possibilities.

      Thank you!

      Susan
    • Alitka1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 18, 2004
        Susan, I think you will find that the Lidcombe program will help you. Make sure you find someone who knows the program. Where do you live?

        Alida
        Alida Engel
        Center for Speech
        374 Central Ave.
        New Haven, CT 06515
        (203)-397-3224

        Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, isfor the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
        message.