Maintenance problems`

  • M B
    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2005
      Hello.

      I'm having some difficult with a client (6, on Tx
      since Oct 8, 2004).

      All went well and fluency improved nicely after
      following the Lidcombe program.

      We switched to the maintenance phase, passed the first
      two-week check, but worsened to SR3 or so after that
      and has stayed there for about two months.

      Clinic visits have been sporadic since then (2 or 3
      times in two months), but are back on track now.

      Possible problems: mom is asking for too many
      corrections (4-5 per day); child reacting negatively
      to this (arguing about whether a bump was a bump or
      not); Mom may be inflating her home ratings; Mom's
      expectations are too high; and doing too many
      structured sessions (daily since stuttering increase).

      I counselled Mom to: lay off the structured sessions;
      reduce the number of requests for correction to two
      per day; and start a tangible reward system to
      increase the boy's motivation to self-correct.

      Do you think I'm on the right track? Any other tips?

      Thanks in advance for your assistance.

      Best regards,
      Michael