RE: [LidcombeUSA] nuts & bolts question

  • Deanna Earley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005

      Hi Michael,

      Sounds good...Perhaps the mother and child can continue daily sessions with treatment throughout the day. (Sort of a midway point).  Keep me informed.

      Deanna

    • M B
      Message 2 of 5 , May 20, 2005
        Hello.

        I'm having some difficult with a client (6, on Tx
        since Oct 8, 2004).

        All went well and fluency improved nicely after
        following the Lidcombe program.

        We switched to the maintenance phase, passed the first
        two-week check, but worsened to SR3 or so after that
        and has stayed there for about two months.

        Clinic visits have been sporadic since then (2 or 3
        times in two months), but are back on track now.

        Possible problems: mom is asking for too many
        corrections (4-5 per day); child reacting negatively
        to this (arguing about whether a bump was a bump or
        not); Mom may be inflating her home ratings; Mom's
        expectations are too high; and doing too many
        structured sessions (daily since stuttering increase).

        I counselled Mom to: lay off the structured sessions;
        reduce the number of requests for correction to two
        per day; and start a tangible reward system to
        increase the boy's motivation to self-correct.

        Do you think I'm on the right track? Any other tips?

        Thanks in advance for your assistance.

        Best regards,
        Michael