United State of America?

  • Ian Fairclough
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
      LIBTYPOS-L readers:

      I searched "United State" (with quotation marks, without truncation). 191
      records found at http://olc1.ohiolink.edu/search I looked through the
      first few and didn't see [sic]

      not found at http://bradford.newriver.lib.fl.us/moretypos/moretypos.htm

      Is this within scope for the More list?

      - Ian

      Ian Fairclough
      Marion (Ohio) Public Library
      tel. 740-387-0994 x233
      ifairclough@...
      ___________________________________
    • Tina Gunther
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
        "United State" has been in the A section of the MainList since 2000.

        Tina
      • Ian Fairclough
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
          Thank you, Tina. Had I thought to consult the main list
          http://faculty.quinnipiac.edu/libraries/tballard/typoscomplete.html, of
          course, I'd have seen that. But I didn't. I didn't think to do so because
          neither the word United nor the word State is necessarily a typo, although
          the phrase as a whole might be. It isn't necessarily, though. With a
          little thought you can come up with a legitimate use of that phrase in a
          bibliographic title. E.g. "The United States of Europe: a truly united
          state?" (Write that book, someone!)

          I wonder why so many instances of this phrase were to be found in the
          OhioLINK catalog http://olc1.ohiolink.edu/search, after six years of its
          being on the main list, and if anything further can be done to persuade
          people to consult the Main and More lists and work with them.

          - Ian

          Ian Fairclough
          Marion (Ohio) Public Library
          tel. 740-387-0994 x233
          ifairclough@...
          ___________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2006
            We've included some multi-word entries in the MainList when their
            occurrences are overwhelmingly typos. The hit count on record for "United
            State" is 196. While every occurrence was not checked, enough were sampled
            to consider the phrase worth including in the MainList.

            We have noticed a significant decline in the hit counts of some of the
            MainList entries, but not others. That's why we will move entries up in
            the list, but not down. Some of the entries in the E section actually have
            0 hits now because they were in Terry's Low section originally and were
            corrected before we got a hit count assigned to them. (There are still
            about 200 entries without hit counts.)

            Tina Gunther <tina.gunther@...>
            Cataloging Technician
            OhioLINK keyword search URL