more on "millennium" - my apologies

  • Phalbe Henriksen
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2000
      I retract my comments about "millenium" possibly being an alternate
      spelling. As Terry showed in his post, it's not. Also, I stopped by the
      artist's shop and looked at the dictionary again. It's published by Thomas
      Nelson, in Nashville. Hardly an authoritative dictionary publisher.

      You are right, Barbara.

      Phalbe
    • Phalbe Henriksen
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2000
        I know Terry is busy holidaying and getting ready to go to ALA, but I'm
        going to post this anyway.

        I just found a spelling test of words commonly misspelled according to a
        copy editor:

        <http://www.sentex.net/~mmcadams/spelling.html>

        According to this woman, "judgment" is correct. However, if you look in
        your on-line catalog, you'll see that books are published with the word
        spelled both ways in the title. Now, I'm not a cataloger and I'm not sure,
        at home on this 4th of July, how to deal with this. However, no matter
        which way patrons spell the word, they should be able to find all the
        records spelled either way.

        Phalbe
      • Owen Massey
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2000
          On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Phalbe Henriksen wrote:

          > According to this woman, "judgment" is correct. However, if you look in
          > your on-line catalog, you'll see that books are published with the word
          > spelled both ways in the title.

          The e-less version is less common on this side of the Atlantic (the same
          applies for "abridg(e)ment" and "acknowledg(e)ment") and the author of
          that page does state that she counts only American English spellings as
          'correct'.

          > Now, I'm not a cataloger and I'm not sure, at home on this 4th of
          > July, how to deal with this. However, no matter which way patrons
          > spell the word, they should be able to find all the records spelled
          > either way.

          I know that some OPACs make a stab at intelligent behavio(u)r,
          automagically searching for the singular of nouns, for instance;
          are there any which include this kind of support for variant spellings?
          It could be part of a more general system for prompting searchers when
          they make misspellings, except that such prompts are usually only made
          after a no-hit search.

          Another, perhaps more effective, approach would be for catalog(u)ers to
          include a 246 varying title field with the alternative spelling -- but as
          you can see, that would need a lot of work!

          Owen Massey
          MA Information & Library Studies program(me)
          Loughborough University, UK
        • Phalbe Henriksen
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 4, 2000
            >The e-less version is less common on this side of the Atlantic (the same
            >applies for "abridg(e)ment" and "acknowledg(e)ment") and the author of
            >that page does state that she counts only American English spellings as
            >'correct'.

            Thanks. I hadn't thought about those two words.

            She does state that, but what she really means is that she considers the
            American spelling correct because she is a copy editor for an American
            publisher. And that would be right. An American publisher wouldn't prefer
            British spellings, just as a British publisher wouldn't prefer American
            spellings.

            >I know that some OPACs make a stab at intelligent behavio(u)r,
            >automagically searching for the singular of nouns, for instance;
            >are there any which include this kind of support for variant spellings?

            Yes, there are cross-references, not quite automagic, but still.... I found
            that after I'd posted this message.

            >Another, perhaps more effective, approach would be for catalog(u)ers to
            >include a 246 varying title field with the alternative spelling -- but as
            >you can see, that would need a lot of work!

            You're right, sort of. Depends on the size of the catalog, and since mine
            is small, it'd just be a small amount of work. And it would be clearer to
            the patron. Trying to catch every patron at the cat terminal to show them a
            need for clicking on the "cross-reference" link is impossible, as you know.

            Owen, you can spell "catalog" with a "ue." We Americans even do that
            sometimes. I learned to do it when I worked in Papua New Guinea, which is a
            Commonwealth country. And lots of catalogers do. We can even recognize
            words like "behaviour" and "colour." :))

            Phalbe
          • Phalbe Henriksen
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 4, 2000
              Terry,

              When you return from Chicago, please consider adding "liason" to your list.

              Phalbe
            • Phalbe Henriksen
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 4, 2000
                Terry,

                For completeness, would you please consider adding "Phillippines" to the list?

                Phalbe
              • tballard@phoenix.liu.edu
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5, 2000
                  Indeed I would. Phillippines passes the Ohiolink test for being a
                  typo with some sort of universality. Good spotting - I used to live
                  there, and I had to do a double take to see the typo.

                  Terry

                  --- In Libtypos-L@egroups.com, Phalbe Henriksen <phenriksen@e...>
                  wrote:
                  > Terry,
                  >
                  > For completeness, would you please consider adding "Phillippines"
                  the list?