Report on my update efforts

  • tgsmiles1977
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2004
      Apprao* -- 0014 hits in OhioLINK
      Sociallife -- 0001
      Somone* -- 0011
      Strengh -- 0005
      Strenghs -- 0001
      Sysmb* -- 0001
      Sysmt* -- 0001
      Unoffci* -- 0001
      Unoffica* -- 0002
      Yourkn* -- 0001
      Yourks* -- 0002

      Those are the latest by-products of my work on the next MainList
      update. I've been merging the new entries into the MainList and
      checking for overlapping entries as I do so. In some cases I deleted
      entries that had been replaced by truncated newcomers. In other cases
      I had to lengthen a truncation or turn it into more than one entry
      because the listed form covered a legal word. (30 out of 31 hits
      under "Tesss*" turned out to be "Tess's".) Recently-popularized
      acronyms and initialisms complicated a few cases.

      There are a few entries I'm still not totally sure about. (Are
      "systhesis" and "systheses" always typos or are they forms of a
      specialized scientific term that hasn't made it into any of the
      dictionaries I checked?)

      I'm continuing to work on getting hit-scores for a lot of the older
      entries. In cases where the scores jumped the entry up at least one
      category, I'm listing the upgraded entry as new. My reasoning for
      this is that many people using the MainList for quality control
      fodder start with the highest-probability errors and may never work
      their way down to the lowest-probability entries.

      Happy, safe and sane Fourth of July to all, particularly those of us
      in the U.S.A. May all the fireworks be legal and local.

      Tina Gunther <tina.gunther@...>
      Cataloging Technician (x5608)
      Biola University Library
      La Mirada CA USA