A couple questions about the current version of the list.

  • Beall, Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
      Message

      1. In Section B, one of the typos listed is:  Telecommuni+

      As you can see, this is the correct spelling.

      2, Also in Section B, The typo Pronouncia+ is listed twice.

      3. I wonder if the asterisk (*) might be better to use to indicate truncation than the plus symbol (+) ?  OCLC Connexion uses the asterisk for truncation in its searches. If you are copying from the list and pasting into OCLC Connexion, you have to manually change the + to a *.  Just an idea.

      Thanks,

      Jeffrey Beall, Catalog Librarian
      Auraria Library
      University of Colorado at Denver
      1100 Lawrence St.
      Denver, Colo. 80204
      jeffrey.beall@...
      (303) 556-5936

    • Ballard, Terry Prof.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
        Message

        I went through the old files and found that telecommuni+ came into the list with the 2003 update, but it seems to have been spelled correctly (or, ironically, incorrectly for a typos list). If Tina can’t remember what the original typo was with this, we may have to give it up. The duplicate “pronounciat+” was corrected, but the coding showed that one got 20 hits and the other got 49, so there must be a story there as well.

        Terry

        Terry Ballard, Automation Librarian

        Quinnipiac University, Bernhard Library

        275 Mt. Carmel Avenue

        Hamden, CT, 06518

        203-582-8945

        terry.ballard@...

        http://faculty.quinnipiac.edu/libraries/tballard

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2004
          According to my archive lists, "Telecommuni+" and "Telecomuni+"
          were both added in the 09/2001 update, with identical hit scores
          of 26. I'll keep looking, but right now it looks as though
          "Telecommuni+" was a "typo" of "Telecomuni+".

          Tina
        • Ballard, Terry Prof.
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
            I have adjusted the main file this morning. Also, I got these quotes
            from actual resumes this morning, and some of them may relate to this
            group:

            "I demand a salary commiserate with my extensive experience."

            "I have lurnt Word Perfect 6.0 computor and spreasheet progroms."

            "Received a plague for Salesperson of the Year."

            "Reason for leaving last job: maturity leave."

            Terry Ballard, Automation Librarian
            Quinnipiac University, Bernhard Library
            275 Mt. Carmel Avenue
            Hamden, CT, 06518
            203-582-8945
            terry.ballard@...
            http://faculty.quinnipiac.edu/libraries/tballard
          • Tina Gunther
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
              Libtypos-L@yahoogroups.com writes:
              >3. I wonder if the asterisk (*) might be better to use to indicate
              >truncation than the plus symbol (+) ? OCLC Connexion uses the asterisk
              >for truncation in its searches. If you are copying from the list and
              >pasting into OCLC Connexion, you have to manually change the + to a *.
              >Just an idea.

              If I recall correctly, early in the history of the discussion group we
              were using + and * interchangeably in entries, but finally settled on the
              + as being more user-friendly to visitors. I tried to find some discussion
              of this in the group archives, but came up empty. Does anyone else
              remember this with any more detail than I do?

              Making OCLC searches easier is not a big priority for this list. However,
              OhioLINK does use "**" for unlimited truncation, so using an asterisk in
              the list would be slightly more convenient. However, I have two caveats
              about that:
              1) The plus sign is more intuitive than the asterisk, particularly for
              users who are not familiar with using wildcard characters in searches.
              2) Since many search routines do use the asterisk as a wildcard character,
              searching for a particular entry on the list becomes problematic when the
              asterisk is used as a character in the entry.

              Neither of those caveats is insurmountable and I'm certainly willing to
              entertain discussion on this. Terry, of course, has the final say.

              Tina
            • Ballard, Terry Prof.
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
                Tina,

                Why thanks. I'm slightly inclined towards the asterisk, but I'd like to hear from others.

                Terry

                >3. I wonder if the asterisk (*) might be better to use to indicate
                >truncation than the plus symbol (+) ? OCLC Connexion uses the asterisk
                >for truncation in its searches. If you are copying from the list and
                >pasting into OCLC Connexion, you have to manually change the + to a *.
                >Just an idea.

                If I recall correctly, early in the history of the discussion group we
                were using + and * interchangeably in entries, but finally settled on the
                + as being more user-friendly to visitors. I tried to find some discussion
                of this in the group archives, but came up empty. Does anyone else
                remember this with any more detail than I do?

                Making OCLC searches easier is not a big priority for this list. However,
                OhioLINK does use "**" for unlimited truncation, so using an asterisk in
                the list would be slightly more convenient. However, I have two caveats
                about that:
                1) The plus sign is more intuitive than the asterisk, particularly for
                users who are not familiar with using wildcard characters in searches.
                2) Since many search routines do use the asterisk as a wildcard character,
                searching for a particular entry on the list becomes problematic when the
                asterisk is used as a character in the entry.

                Neither of those caveats is insurmountable and I'm certainly willing to
                entertain discussion on this. Terry, of course, has the final say.

                Tina

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Phalbe Henriksen
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 2, 2004
                  I'm inclined towards the asterisk, but it's because SIRSI uses it.

                  Is there some way we can determine the spread of automation systems and
                  their wildcards so the fewest number of people will have to alter the
                  words? Do the companies make enough of their business public that we can
                  determine this?

                  Phalbe

                  At 12:07 PM 3/2/2004, you wrote:
                  >Tina,
                  >
                  > Why thanks. I'm slightly inclined towards the asterisk, but I'd like
                  > to hear from others.
                  >
                  >Terry
                • Elizabeth Kielley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
                    For those who use Voyager, the truncation is "?" for keyword and automatic
                    for an author or title search.

                    Liz Kielley
                    ekielley@...
                    Librarian/Technical Services Coordinator
                    Messiah College
                    Grantham, PA 17027
                    717-691-6006 x3850
                    717-691-6042 (FAX)