Sloppy screen (wants to fall over) fixed!

  • markd89
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2002
      Several others have complained that after a while, the screen wants to fall wide open. i.e. It will not stay in place. This seems like a design defect.

      Anyway, here is the fix:

      I just finished doing this operation and the below is from memory. YMMV, but it was not hard and I think I have most of the steps down. Make a note as things come apart as assembly is the reverse of reassembly ;-)

      1. Remove the two stickers covering the screws on the lower left of the screen. You can use a pin or something to lift an edge then they peel off.
      2. Remove the two screws.
      3. Remove the black part of the screen from the silver part. I found that by pulling with my finger nails between the LCD and the black part where it says Libretto got things popping apart.

      You will see on the left a simple plastic hinge using a plastic washer. On the right is the actual mechanism that offers resistance when opening & closing. Note how the washer fits in there so you get it right when you put the screen back together.

      4. Remove two small screws on the right of the screen. These are holding on an aluminum piece of metal.

      5. Disassemble the notebook as described here

      http://my.netian.com/~agarius/b2/l1open/

      You are removing the keyboard and seperating the two parts on the bottom. (No need to remove the hard disk and all that.)

      6. Put the bottom part with the hard disk, motherboard etc aside.

      7. You should be able to wiggle the hinging mechanism away from the LCD part of the screen. Note that it will come out from under another metal piece and upon reassembly will need to be wiggled back under.

      8. Looking at the right hinge, it is necessary to remove two screws that hold the hinge to the keyboard side of the case. There may also be a piece of aluminum that needs to be removed. (I don't recall, but it will be obvious).

      9. You can now wiggle the LCD part of the hinge through the case and remove it. Note a black piece of plastic that shrouds and covers the area where the shaft comes through so that you know how to put it back in.

      10. With the hinge in hand, you will notice an allen key (hex) screw. I beleive it is 2mm. Tighten that down some then reassemble. As you move the hinge in your hand it will be very stiff. Remember that the screen and the case act as levers on this hinge which make it much easier to open and close once it is all together.

      Good luck and I hope I didn't miss anything!

      Mark
    • secondhand9090
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2002
        Hi Mark,

        Any snapshots of how to do it?
        Thanks.

        --- In Libretto-L1@y..., "markd89" <markd89@y...> wrote:
        > Several others have complained that after a while, the screen
        wants to fall wide open. i.e. It will not stay in place. This seems
        like a design defect.

        > Anyway, here is the fix:
        >
        > I just finished doing this operation and the below is from memory.
        YMMV, but it was not hard and I think I have most of the steps down.
        Make a note as things come apart as assembly is the reverse of
        reassembly ;-)

        > 1. Remove the two stickers covering the screws on the lower left
        of the screen. You can use a pin or something to lift an edge then
        they peel off.
        > 2. Remove the two screws.
        > 3. Remove the black part of the screen from the silver part. I
        found that by pulling with my finger nails between the LCD and the
        black part where it says Libretto got things popping apart.

        > You will see on the left a simple plastic hinge using a plastic
        washer. On the right is the actual mechanism that offers resistance
        when opening & closing. Note how the washer fits in there so you get
        it right when you put the screen back together.

        > 4. Remove two small screws on the right of the screen. These are
        holding on an aluminum piece of metal.

        > 5. Disassemble the notebook as described here
        >
        > http://my.netian.com/~agarius/b2/l1open/
        >
        > You are removing the keyboard and seperating the two parts on the
        bottom. (No need to remove the hard disk and all that.)

        > 6. Put the bottom part with the hard disk, motherboard etc aside.
        >
        > 7. You should be able to wiggle the hinging mechanism away from
        the LCD part of the screen. Note that it will come out from under
        another metal piece and upon reassembly will need to be wiggled back
        under.

        > 8. Looking at the right hinge, it is necessary to remove two
        screws that hold the hinge to the keyboard side of the case. There
        may also be a piece of aluminum that needs to be removed. (I don't
        recall, but it will be obvious).

        > 9. You can now wiggle the LCD part of the hinge through the case
        and remove it. Note a black piece of plastic that shrouds and covers
        the area where the shaft comes through so that you know how to put
        it back in.

        > 10. With the hinge in hand, you will notice an allen key (hex)
        screw. I beleive it is 2mm. Tighten that down some then reassemble.
        As you move the hinge in your hand it will be very stiff. Remember
        that the screen and the case act as levers on this hinge which make
        it much easier to open and close once it is all together.

        > Good luck and I hope I didn't miss anything!
        >
        > Mark
      • markd89
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 22, 2002
          --- In Libretto-L1@y..., "secondhand9090" <secondhand9090@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Mark,
          >
          > Any snapshots of how to do it?
          > Thanks.

          Sorry. No digital camera :-(

          It really isn't that hard. Hyun's instructions on taking apart the L1
          are really helpful. Adjusting the sloppy screen is pretty
          straightforward using my steps and looking at how you're doing. If
          you are at all mechanically "handy" you should be fine..

          Good luck,

          Mark