Austin Police Assault Media

  • Terry L Parker
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 23, 2003
      Supporting a good police dept means not protecting a bad cop!

      Will Austin be able to defend the Bill of Rights (www.bordc.org)

      Backdrop for case below my signature is
      at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LibertyProspects/message/1327

      -Terry Liberty Parker
      AustinVoiceMail 1.512.462.1776
      http://profiles.yahoo.com/txliberty

      Austin based TV Journalist Mike Hanson injured by Police assault
      at http://news.phaseiii.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=78

      March 20th, 2003 - 7:45PM:

      Mike Hanson of Alex Jones' InfoWars.com was filming the Anti-War Peace
      Protest on South Congress as a member of the media with a clear and visible
      press badge alongside of members of KEYE, KXAN, News 8 Austin. Women,
      children, and babies were also amongst the conglomorate of people that were
      comprised of the members of the media.

      When Officers arrived at 7:45PM on commandeered Capital Metro Buses, the
      officers were dressed in solid black with combat boots, no visible name
      tags, helmets, and some even going as far as wearing black ski masks. Mike
      asked where the media should stand. The Officers told Mike that the media
      needed to stay on the sidewalk. Mike Hanson obeyed their commands, while
      several of the mainstream media organizations did not. Mike continued to
      film the events as they unfolded from the sidewalk. An unidentified white
      male officer with a short mustache came from behind the front row of the
      Police Officers and started yelling, "MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!" in a very loud
      tone of voice to the people on the sidewalk. This contradicts the requests
      that the other Officers had made. Before Mike and the women with their
      babies could move, a rogue Police Officer pulled out a red device that
      looked like a fire-extinguisher. The rogue Officer then proceeded to fire a
      chemical agent point blank into Mike Hanson's left eye and face area;
      blinding and severely burning him for several hours.

      Thanks to a witness, Jeremy Rodes, and two unidentified ladies worked
      feverishly to flush Mike's eyes with their bottled water. Mike was escorted
      one block away to safety by Jeremy, and an unidentified Peace Officer saw
      Mike and Jeremy in trouble, and ran over to assist Mike. He unselfishly
      gave two bottles of his personal water to aid Mike in flushing the chemical
      agent out of his eyes. This Peace Officer then requested E.M.S. to come and
      give medical help to Mike. It took 30 minutes for the E.M.S. to arrive as
      Mike lay on the ground in severe and agonizing pain while the unidentified
      Peace Officer and Jeremy worked on alleviating Mike's pain.

      Once E.M.S. arrived, they gave Mike basic medical care by flushing his eyes
      out and checking for corneal damage from the blunt trauma inflicted by the
      rogue police officer. E.M.S. tried to bill Mike for medical care, but he
      refused on the grounds that the City of Austin is at fault for Mike's
      injuries.

      Mike feels that he was specifically targeted by the rogue Police Officer
      from a previous incident that Mike was filming a few weeks before at
      Austin's Mardi Gras on 6th street. As well as the fact that he is a member
      and founder of Austin Policewatch. Mike is well-known in the Austin area
      for being an outspoken critic of Police brutality as well. Also, he is a
      public figure who ran previously for the position of Travis County
      Commissioner, and is now a candidate for Travis County Constable Precint
      #4.

      Mike made repeated requests for an Officer to make a report about this
      incident, and had to repeatedly call the Police Department for help.
      Multiple officers were sent out, and each one refused to make a report,
      citing that they cannot make reports on other Police Officers. Finally, at
      12:30 AM at night, Lieutenant David Parkinson was dispatched to Mike's
      location and was very pleasant and helpful by helping Mike obtain
      information for getting in touch with the Austin Police Department's Police
      Monitor, Iris Jones.

      Mike was unable to do his job for the next 3 hours, as a member of the free
      press, due to this brutal attack by the rogue police officer. As a result o
      f this incident occurring, Mike was unable to sleep through the night, due
      to excessive burning sensations in his left eye and face. Twenty four hours
      later, Mike was still suffering from blurred vision in his left eye, and
      was unable to go to work.

      Mike's main complaints are:

      * Unjustified and unprovoked excessive force
      * Violations of the First Amendment (Press)
      * Official Oppression
      * Abuse of power
      * Censorship
      * Violence did not start, until the Officers dressed in military gear,
      arrived on the scene
      * Only independant media were targeted (No mainstream media were attacked)
      * Mike will be responsible for further medical bills to see if there is any
      permanent damage to his left eye
      * Mike must purchase a copy of each of the media's footage in order to have
      evidence mounted against the rogue police officer
      * The Police Officers not being readily identifiable (No name tags and
      black ski masks)
      * Improper training for using dangerous chemical agents

      The name of the rogue police officer is unknown at this time, however
      photos of this officer are in the process of being released to Austin
      Police Department's Internal Affairs as well as the Austin Police Monitor.

      The Austin Police Department's Internal Affairs division has classified
      this case as 'Class A Excessive Force' and this case is now under
      investigation.

      If you witnessed anything, or have pictures or video of this incident, then
      please call 512-292-0070.

      Stay tuned to http://news.phaseiii.org for further information.

    • Terry L Parker
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 24, 2003
        Thank you muchly! -Terry

        Ben wrote:We haven't had the same sort of problems with Police here in Madison,
        yet.

        There's an ordinance in the works before our City Council, which you
        might try to copy, mandating big neon numbers on riot gear, and that
        each officer issued a suit make a record of which one they take.

        A selling point with conservative Council members is that this reduces
        the likelyhood of unauthorized incidents exposing the city to the costs
        of litigation.

        --- In LeftLibertarian@yahoogroups.com, Terry L Parker
        wrote:

> [...]
        > evidence mounted against the rogue police officer
        > * The Police Officers not being readily identifiable (No name tags and
        > black ski masks)
        > * Improper training for using dangerous chemical agents
        >

        > The name of the rogue police officer is unknown at this time, however
        > photos of this officer are in the process of being released to Austin
        > Police Department's Internal Affairs as well as the Austin Police Monitor.
        >

        > The Austin Police Department's Internal Affairs division has classified
        > this case as 'Class A Excessive Force' and this case is now under
        > investigation.
        >

        > If you witnessed anything, or have pictures or video of this incident, then
        > please call 512-292-0070.
        >

        > Stay tuned to http://news.phaseiii.org for further information.

        > Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your
        desktop!

      • Terry L Parker
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 24, 2003
          From deep in the heart of Texas (Austin), place of last known previous employment for now US Prez Bush:

          Updates and examples of what can be done about this sort of indiscriminate assault by police on news media when it happens where you live and play! -TLP

          Mainstream media also targeted
          by Jess 11:06pm Sun Mar 23 '03
          jessh AT mail.utexas.edu

          I would just like to point out that while Mike may have been the only person that was specifically targeted, the main stream media was also attacked. I was standing next to a group of mainstream media and other people with cameras when we were sprayed with pepper spray. I later talked to the news 8 camera person whose face was VERY red from the attack. I would also like to point out that when this attack occurred the police were making no attempt to move forward and no one was stopping them from doing so or being violent in any way(with the exception of the police of course)

          ~Jess

          NBC local affiliate (KXAN) also assaulted
          by Terry Liberty Parker 8:43am Mon Mar 24 '03

          I recieved this update report from 'Connie'

          I am offering this information only in an effort to make sure that the facts as you present them will not be brought into question. I was at the peace demonstration and my good friend was the FIRST person (on the SIDEWALK!) to be arrested.... Anyway, my next door neighbor is a producer at Channel 36 and he told me that their camera man was also sprayed with a chemical. So that is a "mainstream" network news person who was also sprayed. Thanks for your work to get this information out.

          CH

          Updates to earlier report on www.Austin.IndyMedia.org
          at http://www.austin.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6277&group=webcast

          Photo of the 'Assault Cop' in action
          at http://www.austin.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6269&group=webcast

          InterNet Video of the 'Assault Cop' in action
          at http://www.austin.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6265&group=webcast

          Letter To Mayor and Council about Chemical Agents
          by Stefan Wray 8:54pm Sat Mar 22 '03
          swray@...

          A letter sent to Mayor and Council about the use of chemical agents.

          Dear Mayor and City Council Members,

          We were sprayed with a chemical agent, either pepper spray or mace, by an employee of the City of Austin, a member of the Austin Police Department, on March 20 on the Congress bridge.

          When we were sprayed, we were engaged in the act of video recording. Both of us had video cameras and we were recording the events taking place.

          As a result we have, on video tape, what we believe to be the first incident of the police using pepper spray on the bridge that night.

          The video tape clearly shows the location of the incident, it shows the officer spraying the chemical agent, it shows the chemical agent being dispersed through the air and in the direction of our cameras.

          It hit both of us in the face and hands. We both had it in our eyes.

          We have published two photos from this video on the Austin Indymedia web site. You can see them at this address:
          http://austin.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6260&group=webcast

          The article in Saturday's Austin American Statesman and the quote from Assistant Chief Coy is very misleading. It makes it seem as though the police were provoked before they resorted to using chemical agents.

          When did video taping police action become a cause to for being sprayed with chemical agents?

          The article also makes it seem as though chemical agents were used only at the end of the bridge near Barton Springs road. This is also a lie. As the video we have will demonstrate, police began using chemical agents while still on the bridge just south of where people were sitting down in civil disobedience.

          What are you going to do about this? Do you know who gave the order to use chemical agents? Are there city policies governing the use of chemical agents? Were the conditions under which chemical agents used in accordance with city policies?

          - Stefan Wray

          at http://www.austin.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6263&group=webcast

          US Constitutional Amendments 1-10: The Bill of Rights
          Amendment I

          Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

          at http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/charters_of_freedom/bill_of_rights/amendments_1-10.html

          see also http://www.Constitution.org

          Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 1:19 PM
          Subject: Austin Police Assault Media

          Does supporting a good police dept include protecting a bad cop?

          Will Austin be able to defend the Bill of Rights (www.bordc.org)

          Backdrop for case below my signature is
          at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LibertyProspects/message/1327

          -Terry Liberty Parker
          AustinVoiceMail 1.512.462.1776
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/txliberty

          Austin based TV Journalist Mike Hanson injured by local police assault

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 24, 2003
            Of course you realize that stuff like this blows away any notions
            that Libertarians are JUST 'plain white country club conservative'
            types muhahaha

            But, then that means that we will be 'respectable' for the
            appropriate reasons :)

            -Terry Liberty Parker
            http://profiles.yahoo.com/txliberty

            "Thomas L. Knapp" <thomaslknapp@y...> wrote:On 24 Mar 2003 at 11:44,

            Terry L Parker wrote:

            > Updates and examples ofwhat can be done about this sort
            > ofindiscriminateassault by policeon news mediawhen it happens
            > where you live and play! -TLP

            ThenTomWrote:

            I saw some scattered reports on the protests in New York, where a
            very simple and appropriate technique seems to be in use. The NYPD
            claimed that 30 of its officers got a face full of mace, although it
            declined to speculate as to why that might have happened.

            Here in St. Louis, the black bloc folks have evinced an intention to
            "un-arrest" people whom the police attempt to detain, but why count
            on the support of others? Mace isn't expensive. Get it, carry it and,
            if necessary, use it. Police officers cry and choke like anyone else.

            Tom Knapp

            P.S. It's probably never a good idea to go to a protest without a
            bandana and some vinegar to soak it in, in case the police use
            canister CS. Put it over your nose and mouth -- it helps neutralize
            the CS and make it easier to breathe.

            --- End forwarded message ---
          • Carole Wiles
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 24, 2003
              I clicked onto the picture of the cop sprayer, and
              tried to add my comment, but I do not think it went
              through, don't know why, cw4:20 mon from library...
              --- Terry L Parker <txliberty@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > using chemical agents while still on the bridge just
              > south of where people were sitting down in civil
              > disobedience.
              >
              > What are you going to do about this? Do you
              > know who gave the order to use chemical agents? Are
              > there city policies governing the use of chemical
              > agents? Were the conditions under which chemical
              > agents used in accordance with city policies?
              >
              > - Stefan Wray
              >

              > at

              http://www.austin.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=6263&group=webcast

              > US Constitutional Amendments 1-10: The Bill of
              > Rights
              > Amendment I
              >
              > Congress shall make no law respecting an
              > establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free
              > exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of
              > speech, or of the press; or the right of the people
              > peaceably to assemble, and to petition the

              === message truncated ===

              http://platinum.yahoo.com