Libertarians v Traditionalist Conservatives: A Polite Exchange
- Libertarian Alliance
Contact Details: Dr Sean Gabb
07956 472 199, sean@... <mailto:sean@...>
* That sweeping consitutional and other changes since 1997 have made it impossible to be a conservative in the old sense;
* That a modern conservative must be a revolutionary - that he must first pull down the existing order of things and then establish a new order of things worth defending;
* That this new order of things must be heavily libertarian, and its creation must involve reaching out far beyond the normal traditionalist communities, to make often unusual alliances.
* The relegalisation of drugs;
* The relegalisation of guns;
* Gay marriage;
* The European Union;
This was a long and honest exchange of views between people from somewhat different traditions. It was conducted in a notably friendly spirit.
Note on the Recording
Sean Gabb recorded the debate on his Samsung notebook computer, using a Behringer C-1U USB microphone. This microphone is highly directional, and almost completely excluded the background noise from a busy pub in the City on a Friday night. However, it also failed to pick up all the questions from the floor, and these questions must be largely reconstructed from the answers.
Director, The Libertarian Alliance (Carbon Positive since 1979)
sean@... <mailto:sean@...> Tel: 07956 472 199
Postal Address: Suite 35, 2 Lansdowne Row, London W1J 6HL, England
Wikipedia Entry <http://tinyurl.com/23jvoz>
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]